Chapter 2: A Game of Chess

It was nearly ninety years ago, eighty-seven years to be exact when our story took place. A story of love and courage, passion and patience, and above all : resilience. For without resilience, we wouldn't be having this story.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

May 20th 1856
The Hereditary Prince's Study,
North Tower,
Dannamore Castle

It was a sunny afternoon, perfect for a stroll in the vast gardens in the castle compound or even a picnic under the famous birch tree of Arion.

However, our royal siblings were found to be sitting in the hereditary prince's study, playing a game of chess by the window.

The older sibling, the Princess Louisa May was teaching, or trying to, her younger brother the Hereditary Prince Theodor how to play and win at chess. To win, all you need is focus, patience and strategy. Our young prince, sadly possesses none of these.

"Why is it extremely hard to win at this silly game?" he grumbles, accidentally knocking over one of his pawn. "I just need to get to the king for goodness' sake."

His sister laughs softly. "Patience, dear brother. Patience. All good things come to those who wait," she says, rearranging the fallen pawn and proceeding to take the Prince's knight with her own Bishop. "You need to stay calm in order to win. Your move."

He studies the board, noting where his sister's pieces lay and which strategic route should he take. His hand hovers above his rook, wondering if he should move this piece. Glancing up, he notices his sister suppressing a smile. That set him off.

"Why on earth are you smiling?" he demands, clenching his fists. This game is really starting to get on his nerves. Not to mention his sister's smugness at his incompetence.

She laughs again, the tinkling sound of it annoying him further. "I'm not doing anything. I'm just sitting here."

"You're laughing at me," he says, frowning at her. His eyes trail to the chess board, where his black pieces left were only the rook, the queen, the king and two pawns; whereas Louisa's white pieces were still a plenty.

"I certainly am not," she denies, shaking her dark curls. "Honestly, Theo, you're being paranoid. That's not good for a future King."

"Am I fit to be King, though?" he grumbles again, covering his face with his hands. "I can't even win at chess."

Before the princess could open her mouth to reply, the butler opens the door to the study. "Their Majesties the King and Queen, Your Highnesses," the butler says.

They both rise from their seats and bow when their parents sweep into the room.

"Mama, Papa," Theodor says, looking up to them. " To what do we owe this pleasure on such a lovely afternoon?"

Queen Therese glides towards her two children, planting a kiss on their cheeks. " It's been so long since we sat down and had tea together. Isn't that so, my dear?" she asks, turning her sparkling blue eyes on her husband.

King Louis Henri clears his throat, his hands behind his back. " Certainly," he agrees, though there was something in his eyes that made the two siblings nervous. " Gregory," he calls to the butler, " Would you be as kind as to go down to the kitchen and bring some scones and tea for us?"

"Certainly, Your Majesty," Gregory says, bowing before leaving to fetch our tea.

"So, what is it that you two have been doing?" he asks, pulling an armchair to the table the table. "Chess?" he asks, looking at his son in surprise. His son, to the best of his knowledge, hates strategic games passionately.

"Yes. Louisa was teaching me but I'm failing miserably, as you can see," the prince says, gesturing helplessly to the board. He pulls up another armchair next to his sister for his mother to sit on, before returning to his own chair. "Honestly, Papa, I think Lou should be the next Queen. God knows I'll only doom the kingdom," he says, slumping in his chair as he watches his sister take another one of his pawns.

"Nonsense," the King says, thumping his son on the back, " you just need practice. Which you would get if you would attend every council meeting I hold."

"But they bore me to death," he groans.

The King rolls his eyes at his son's childishness. Honestly, this is his heir? He opens his mouth to chastise his son, but his wife interrupts.

"You had something to tell your son, Your Majesty?" she asks, looking pointedly at the King. "Something quite important?"

His Majesty's face turns a bright shade of red. Clearly, whatever he needs to tell his son wouldn't bode well for anyone. He is saved, however, by the butler when he walks in to the study with a trolley laden with scones, jams and a pot of tea.

"Thank you, Gregory," he tells the butler. "You may go now." Gregory bows yet again and hurries out.

Silence falls as the two Highnesses help themselves to the scones while their parents watch on. As soon as the two siblings settle back into their chairs, their father clears his throat yet again, wanting their attention.

"As much as I know how you adore scones and jam, I need you to listen to this. Especially you, Theodor," he says, turning his steel gray eyes on his son.

"I didn't do it," Theodor says quickly, averting his eyes from his father's.

"I know what you did in village, Theodor but I will deal with it later," his father promises. "Now, do you remember Elena du Calver of Deschamps? "

"Certainly. How can I not? You literally pushed my face into every European family line there is," the prince rolls his eyes. "I couldn't think of anything else besides their names for weeks."

His father tuts, unimpressed with his sarcasm. "King Rupercht of Deschamps has agreed to give military aids to us against both the Germans and the French."

"That's wonderful," Theodor says, absent-mindedly moving his rook five steps forward.

"And we agreed on a treaty that would benefit both of our kingdoms."

Queen Therese continues to sip her tea, though there is now a slight nervous tremor in her hands. Princess Louisa turns her attention to her father at the mention of a treaty, her face turning slightly pale.

Theodor sighs angrily. "Papa, you are beating around the bush. How would I know what the treaty is about," he tells his father. To his sister, "Your move."

"It was a marriage treaty," the King says quickly, preparing for the outburst that is sure to come. The prince froze at his father's words, forgetting the game he was losing.

"Checkmate," Princess Louisa says quietly, as her queen takes his king.