Chapter Two

***A/N Thanks for all the lovely comments on just the first chapter. You have NO IDEA how happy that makes me. Please go on enjoying it and tell me if there's anything you'd like to see happen :)***

********

Rhydian took Maddy up to his room, and then started dragging furniture around. He placed a chair under an attic hatch the ceiling and reached up to open it.

Maddy backed away, expecting lot of cobwebs and dust to come raining down, but to her surprise it looked quite clean. Rhydian brought down a small wooden ladder and motioned for Maddy to go first. 

He held the ladder as she climbed, watching where she was putting her hands and feet carefully. Once she was up, she gasped at what she saw. 

It was a very small dingy attic room with a low ceiling, but it was clean and cushions lay on the floor along with some homework books (Physics, ugh!) and sketchpads. When Maddy flipped the light switch, she was that the walls were covered in Rhydian's drawing and photos of him, her, Shannon and Tom... and one of him and Jana. 

Rhydian came up behind her. 

"You like it?" he asked. 

"It's amazing," Maddy replied, smiling. Rhydian picked up his sketchpad and started flipping through the pages until he had obviously found what he wanted. He leaned the sketchpad towards Maddy to show her. 

It was a beautifully detailed drawing on two wolves, sitting on a ledge of rock with the moon shining behind them. 

"What do you think?" Rhydian asked quietly from behind her. Maddy didn't know what to say. She turned round to face him and Rhydian frowned slightly, then slowly moved closer to her. 

She leaned in, her heart thumping wildly, and looked into his eyes. She wondered afterwards what would have happened if Mrs Vaughan hadn't called up the stairs,

"Maddy, Rhydian, how's the homework going?" 

They sprang apart almost guiltily and stared at the floor, until Maddy called back,

"Good, thanks!" The spell was broken. 

She grabbed her back and started to climb down the ladder. 

"Wait, Maddy!" Rhydian said. "We need to talk!"

Maddy didn't ever look back up the ladder as she said,

"Meet me in the woods tonight. WITHOUT Jana... Or Shannon or anybody. We'll talk then." 

She continued down the stairs. Rhydian sat on the attic floor and listened to her thanking his foster parents. Then he heard the front door open and shut.

Running to the small attic window, he watched her walk away down the muddy track, looking vulnerable and small in the evening dark. 

She didn't look back. 

********