29. Golden Sunrise

Start from the beginning

  “Then I don’t want to know what you call fast,” he groans.

  “I thought I was walking in a decent pace, I’m sorry.” I throw him another bunch of berries and he shines up like a sun. “You two can sleep and dream nice things while I just walk around bored all nights. I’m getting restless here.”

  “We are almost there,” Marc ensures me.

  “You said that the last five days,” Vita cuts in. “I can’t wait until we reach a civilized place again. I thought Crest was bad, but I haven’t seen a single house on this planet yet. Kria is like one big city with parks around it. Nature is not my style.”

  Vita and Marc starts arguing about cities and the nature. It makes me wonder how quickly we will reach our goal, because right now I could need a break from both of my new friends.

-

  I seem to make a lot of mistakes. I feel so comfortable with my new abilities that it’s hard to remember to live in the same pace and way as my surroundings. This way I can’t stay anonymous for too long. Am I supposed to stick out?

  "Yes. You’re the Iris. You’re not supposed to stay hidden. There’s not much time for you to learn. Send at the sign to the universe and you will know what to do along the way."

  These instructions clashes with what I had in mind. How will I be able to send out a sign? I still don’t know what I’m supposed to do and which way I should take to save the world. I only have a handful of people on my side. I’m just learning how to deal with everything. I can’t possibly start anything so soon.

  "You are overreacting. I’m your guide and will let you focus on what you need to do when it comes. Knowing everything might steal your attention from the current task. You’re the Iris. What do you think you can do to show everyone you’re here without making the slightest effort?"

  I need a moment to think. I guess I must accept the fact that I’m a goddess. The answer is probably something simple. What is so special about me that Marc and Vita can see?

  If they were around I’d ask them, but I snuck away earlier because honestly, it’s not funny to listen to them anymore. One second they’re best friends and the other worst enemies. Marc can be really snobby while Vita is very emotional. I’m not sure what I am besides selfish and paralyzed.

  “You’re sidetracked.”

  “What do you expect me to do?” I call out loudly in frustration. “I really tried, but I can’t figure out what I’m supposed to do.”

  “You’re not that bright, are you?”

  Saha’s voice is suddenly amused compared to her earlier monotone voice. It makes her sound more human and I hate that she’s testing me. It’s better if she just use me as a tool so I can go on with my life without any more worries.

  “There’s a reason I was a sports freak and not a science geek.” I roll my eyes and massage my hands down my legs nervously. I took another great decision to not wear my Danglers this morning. I like the feeling they give me, but I feel freer without them.

  “You’re the Iris. We created one sign that you can show the world so they will understand that you are here. It is however something natural in your world.”

  “The rainbow?”

  I listen for Saha’s answer but everything is quiet again. I guess I can try to make a rainbow, but that means there’s no going back for me. Once I start the sign I can’t pretend to be just Meryl anymore. It really worries me because all I want is to be back in my room on Earth and talk non-stop with Carolyn on the phone.