Chapter 3. Karma is a B*tch

Start from the beginning

Oh I'm sorry I haven't told you have I?

Anna and Brad aren't my biological parents.

They found me by the door of their building on February 16th, 18 years ago. And that's the date they call, my birthday. I didn't look older than just a few months old so they decided that it could work as the day of my birthday.

They didn't have any kids back then and they were really trying but couldn't. Mom says I was a gift from god. They took me in their home right away. They always treated me like I was their biological kid, making no exceptions for Lexi and that makes them the most amazing parent's in the world.

I will be forever grateful for them.

Lexi came to life two years later and we always got along pretty well.

My parents told me I was not their biological kid at the age of 9 . Mom made it sound like a fairytale. She also tried to explain everything in simple words so I wound't be hurt and confused.

To be honest I'm glad they were the ones that found me, who knows where I could have ended up?

I almost never think about my biological parents.

Well except your 'birthday'... you do think about them then.

Shut up, subconscious!!

You can't just leave your kids ouside of a building and expect them to care especially if you don't even leave a damn note on them.

Oh wait. They did leave a note. It said 'Emmalyn' on it but nothing else. I think it's part of why I don't like my full name.

Brad and Anna adopted me right away and thanks to a good lawyer they didn't have much trouble with the whole thing, eventhough I had no papers on me and it would have been hard to make the actual adoption.

Truth is, I really don't care about my biological family. Anna, Brad and Lexi are my family. The only one who knows the thruth except those three, is Demi. I've learned to accept that what's done is done.

Anyways, they may treat me as their own, but I really don't want to feel like a burden, espacially now that dad's having a hard time with bussiness.

I had been so deep in thought that I didn't even understand when exactly I made it to Demi's place. I ringed the doorbell a few seconds later she opened the door. She smiled when she saw me and stepped aside so I could walk in "Hey, I wasn't expecting you,come in."

"Yeah sorry I didn't call." I said walking in

"Cut the bullshit Em, you know mi casa su casa."

I rolled my eyes playfully at her "Jesus Christ. Cut the Italian, you look weird trying to pull of the accent."

She chuckled but then I frowned and her expresion changed too. "What's wrong?" she asked.

"I got the job at the diner" I said with half a smile

"Uh- isn't that great? Aren't you supposed to be happy?" she asked looking at me like I've grown two heads.

"Well yeah I am, I mean I was, until the owner told me that there's another college student working there.."

"Your point exactly...?" Demi asked confused

"Her name is Charlotte" I said sighing "Please tell me it's not who I think it is..." I was whining now.

"Crap..." Demi said and it was enough to realize that it wasn't just my mind thinking it's the Charlotte I know.

"Yeah, my thoughts exactly...If it's her it will be hard working there"