Chapter 8: I'm Sorry, What?

Start from the beginning

I knew that Tyler wouldn't intentionally laugh to make me feel like an idiot, but she couldn't help herself.

"I, um... The boys left without me." I stutter into the phone, making up a lame excuse as to why I was in Los Angeles, one of the most interesting and busy places in the world, only to lie on my bed and talk to a girl who clearly had better things to do with her time.

"Sure they did. They ditched you for Diana!" This time she takes no caution in letting her playful laugh spill through her lips, so it simply does, filling the room with its sound.

"Well, um," The other end of the line suddenly becomes quiet, and I only hear soft breathing.

"Excuses excuses. Harry, you've been out a total of three times. Why don't you come over or something and we can hang out? Maybe get some lunch or something." She suggests, and the gears in my head turn. Lunch? That means I haven't eaten breakfast yet?

In fact, I have hardly eaten since two days ago. I hadn't ended up eating the omelette which a certain someone had so graciously thrown at me, I ate a little popcorn while we were at the movies, and I had nothing but a few funny jokes from a drunk Louis at the bar since we were underage. Ok, well I had a sip or two of Louis' drink but that was all.

I could really use some food.

As if on cue, my stomach grumbled loudly, and I heard Tyler's boisterous laugh once more.

"Uh, lunch. Yeah. Want me to pick you up or should you, er-" Thankfully I was cut off by Tyler.

"Don't worry. Come over at around 11:30? I need to change." I nod before realizing she couldn't see me.

"That sounds good. Uh-" I start.

"Bye Harry! See you at 11:30!" She chirps and the line goes dead.

***

I hear Tyler before I actually lay eyes on her.

"Harry!" She yells. "Coming!"

She shoots down the large staircase, her usually neatly curled blonde hair tucked into a ponytail.

My eyes widen at two shapes following her, one very small and white, and another that looks like it could be a small dark horse.

When she reaches the bottom she beams at me, before noticing my expression and turning to see the giant monster running towards us.

"Feisty! Bad boy! No attacking guests!" She commands the large, well, what I now see is a German Shepard. The dog winces and lays down at her feet.

The other one, a tiny white dog that is very loud, runs up to me and jumps, barking and scratching, but the thing is so small it only jumps below my knee.

Of course, the thing is about the size of my hand, so I'm not very worried about it doing any damage.

"Monster, ah-" Tyler starts, but then the two dogs go running off to the left, where I now see Edith carrying a bag of dog food.

The dogs sprint and stop inches in front of Edith, if they'd stopped any closer they would've knocked the old woman down to the floor.

Edith waves at us, and I shoot her a thankful look.

Tyler hands me her phone with the address to the place she wanted to go to, assuring me that I'd love it as much as she did.

We get into the car, and Tyler immediately switches on the radio, which happens to be playing What Makes You Beautiful.

She gives me a glance just before my solo comes in, and once she realizes that I would not sing this over-played song, especially not with her, she takes it into her own hands to sing my parts.