Chapter 7 ~ Duck ~

Start from the beginning

“Back down Henry, unless you're willing?” I looked at Henry confused and he stared right back before nodding.

“Only if you promise not to hurt the girl. Her ear was enough after what she's already been through.” Mr. Mason looked at me with questioning eyes, but I darted mine to the floor. I had already forgotten about my ear, but now that he had mentioned it, it stung mercilessly.

A dizzy feeling came over me, sending my head spinning. Trent caught me before I fell to the floor.

“Fine. Your hand, Henry?” I tried my hardest to focus on Henry's hand as he gave it to Mr. Mason, palm up. A dagger appeared, the same one that had traced the planes of my hands not minutes ago. I blinked rapidly, clearing my vision long enough to see the dagger pierce his skin. Mr. Mason's eyes weren't on the blade though. No, they were watching Henry's face for any sort of reaction, but it remained impassive.

“Satisfied Mr. Mason?” Henry asked, letting the blood overflow in his hand. Mr. Mason blew out the candle, the wisp of smoke floated around the room before evaporating. Taking Henry's hand, he tilted it, letting the blood drip in to the wax, mixing it. Mr. Mason pulled a wax envelop seal out of a desk drawer and dipped it in the blood and wax mixture, stamping the envelop with his seal.

“Get Henry a bandage for his hand.” Within a moment the guards had brought back a white bandage. I scooped it up, getting a bad feeling from the grins on the faces of the guards, and wondered why it was wet. I shrugged it off. Had to be ointment, I thought.

“Goodbye Mr. Mason.” Dustin said sarcastically and grabbed the envelop, pushing us towards the door.

“Come again Brandy.” The way he said my name shot terror straight through me. Trent helped me as we passed door after door. Martin took the bandage out of my hand and wrapped it around Henry's bloody hand on the way.

The moment we got outside, I knew something was wrong. Henry was staggering, trying to stay standing, as well as I. My vision was hazy and I fought to keep my eyes open. My whole body felt sluggish and weak.

“I hate Mr. Mason!” Louis yelled, grabbing Henry's arm before his knees just skimmed the ground.

“It was poison on those knives, wasn't it Henry?” Russ asked.

“Poison?!” I gasped, bewildered.

“We aren't exactly sure what it is. It's a bunch of rare herbs mixed together, but there are so many that he has.” Allen explained lightly.

“I'm sure whatever Henry has, he's immune to, but you aren't. Your eyes are starting to droop as we speak. Do you feel weak?” I nodded at Callum, it taking as much strength as I could possibly muster.

“Carthwrite's gonna be mad that Henry took the cut. I bet Carthwrite was planning on her being out for the rest of the day.” Trent grumbled angrily, holding my body up higher as I slumped further in his arms. Master Carthwrite would set me up for something like this.

Something in my body clicked, all my senses coming alive, but my body was paralyzed. I felt like I was on fire. I could feel sweat beginning to bead down my neck.

“Oh no, look. He gave her the flaming one.” Allen groaned.

“Brandy? Brandy, can you hear me?” I could only stare at Louis with tears in my eyes, even they felt on fire. I could hear my mouth falling slack as I panted heavily, wishing for the heat to go away. It increased, becoming unbelievably hotter. My insides felt like they were on for barbeque.

“Her skin's turning red! Is there anything we can do?” They all looked at Martin with sad looks.

“We can only wait it out and try to keep her skin cool. We need to get back to the mansion quickly and hand her to Gretta.” A low moan left my mouth as Trent's hands wrapped around my waist, my hot arms resting against his cool ones.

I had never had a fever before, but Pop's had always told me you felt like you were burning up on the insides; was it normally this intense? I desperately wanted to stop, drop, and roll into a lake of ice water, hoping to cool my skin, but of course, I couldn't.

I was fading in and out of consciousness. The heat in my head was hotter than the branding iron that had pierced my skin. My tears were mixing in with the sweat that covered my body.

“Gretta!” I heard one of the guards shout, but didn't know who.

“Oh dear! Bring...inside....ice.” My eyes shot open as ice pelted against my skin and I gratefully welcomed it. You could hear a small hiss from the ice crackling against the heat my body was producing. I closed my eyes and let the ice send me into an uncomfortable sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I shivered and felt a warm hand press against my forehead.

“Thank God, I think it's almost gone. Now we'll just have to wait out the weak and dizzy part.” My eyes slowly fluttered open to see Gretta and Trent leaning over me. My head lolled down and I noticed I was laying in a tub full of water. I couldn't remember how I got here but could remember the horrible burning sensation. It was gone, but my body felt like it was in its own world, not willing to leave it.

“She's a lucky one. We were all afraid that he used the Dagger of Death.” I could almost hear his teeth grind in anger.

“Henry?” I asked, suddenly remembering that he had been poisoned too.

“He's fine Brandy. He's immune to the poison, besides the weak effect. He'll be fine in a day or two, but you might be like this for a week.” Gretta slapped the back of Trent's head.

“Don't tell her that, you don't know for sure.” The corner of my lips tugged up, only for a moment, before falling slack.

“Well it depends on her immune system, but she could be up in a few days at the least.” Gretta shooed him out of the room and helped me stand, wrapping a towel around my shivering body.

“Don't listen to Trent, dear. You'll be up before you know it.” She smiled proudly after replacing my wet clothes with dry ones.

“What happened?!” Master Carthwrite stormed into the bathroom without knocking, yelling at the top of his lungs.

“She was cut with one of Mr. Mason's poison daggers, Master Carthwrite.” Gretta told him with a small bow of her head. I focused on glaring at him, knowing it was the only thing I could do while Gretta held onto my weak body so I didn't fall. He knew that Mr. Mason was gonna poison me! Even the guards said so.

“I told you to stay with one of the guards at all times!” He hissed at me, slapping my cheek. It stung but I bit my tongue and continued to glare. “Why didn't you stay with them?! Answer me!”

“They all were with me.” I managed to mumble out of my numb lips.

“So it's their fault that you're injured. They all shall be punished. They're job is to protect you, now you're as useless as when I first got you!” He roared, leaving the room. Only the faint smell of peppermint proved he was there a moment ago.

**********************************************************

So, main thing I wanna know is: What do you think of Mr. Mason?

He was my main problem in this chapter. I didn't know if it's how I wanted him to be.