Chapter one; A Beautiful Life

Start from the beginning

"Well, you could do the world a real nice favor and die." The person's voice seethed. This guy's voice was kind of harsh, and nowhere near the nice, honey-like voice in the hedge. He took out a black handled knife (a nice one at that) and held it at my throat.

"Okay, uh... I know a lot of people hate me, but that's just taking it a little too far!" I furrowed my brows, no longer struggling due to confusion. I've had sharper blades pressed to my skin.

 "David!" The other voice. The sweet one. Another guy came out of the bushes, rushing over to help me out a little. I examined him. He seemed like a neutral kind of guy-he was just wearing a white v-neck t-shirt with brown pants that matched perfectly with the color of his brown hair. His eyes were a beautiful shade of hazel. "David, stop! She's not a vampire, just STOP!"

"What!?" 'David' swung his head over his shoulder to see the other guy. "She's got all the characteristics!" David whined. I took it that he complained a lot.

It was true. I'd made myself look like a vampire. Dunno how, but I did.

I should be tan-I'm much closer to white. Actually, just a slight shade over, and I'd be white. (Not being racist, just emphasizing.) It was because I always hung out at night.  I also had thick, healthy hair. reached down to the bottom of my shoulder-blades. And, it's really thick-sometimes, it takes me hours to brush my hair. That thick.

Weirdest of all, my canine teeth resemble vampire fangs. Yeah. Some sort of birth defect or something (though I've never heard of a defect quite like that before). My canine teeth are half an inch long at the least, and they're so sharp, I can cut skin with them on the lightest of touches. And I was wondering why kids ran away from me at the first sight when I was in preschool. I didn't know then. I have no friends, and no life. It's cause I had to grow up so fast.

"Vampire!? Don't tell me they're spreading that rumor again!" I groaned. "Seriously, it's getting annoying, just stop it already!" I mumbled under my breath, putting my hands over my eyes.

David looked confused. "What are you talking about?"

"Well, you're new to the program, aren't you." I pushed him off of me and started picking up my pencils and papers that were strewn everywhere. "Now if you excuse me, I have to go home. My dad is probably drunk again, and I don't want to have to clean up the house. Again." I turned to leave.

"Wait." The other boy, the sweet one, came up behind me and touched my arm. "Just a question, but- Why are you out so late?"

I looked at him, into those beautiful hazel eyes. "Because I pay for it to be that way. Going to night classes." I turned away from him in embarrassment. "I'm just out at night because nobody else is there, okay? Leave me alone." I shrugged away from him and left for my home for the night.

~~~

I had to fend off my dad yet again. He turned out to be high, thinking I was my mom again. He still thinks he hasn't gotten worth his pay for her-er-sessions. I ran out of the house after grabbing a few things that were important to me. Last time I saw him, he was laying on the floor, groaning something about it hurting real nice. Disgusting-I just hope I don't end up like him.

I ran all the way out to the forest. I was panting as I came to my clearing. Someone before me had placed a few rocks in the center to form a kind of bed/sofa-like structure. I think the person who arranged the rocks that way died or something, because when I got there, it was long abandoned. I sat down in it, groaning. Why did my life have to suck so much? Dunno.

I also dunno when I fell asleep.

I woke up in a tent, facing up in a sleeping bag to see bright orange nylon and polyester above me. The sun filtering into the tent directly above didn't help the view.

....What the hell. I thought, attempting to shield my now aching eyes from the brightness of the tent. Where am I now? Groaning in frustration, I sat up and looked around. It was a two-person tent, with another sleeping area next to mine- just a couple blankets and a pillow, but it was used, I could tell by the blankets being folded over like somebody had to get up. Looking past the sleeping area, I noted that the other side of the tent was like a personal corner- there was a small desk set up, and several pieces of paper taped to the sides of the tent. Well, the desk was a plank of wood laying on top of two concrete bricks, the drawing supplies looked like they were stolen from a trash bin, and the papers were just random snatches of hotel stationary.

 I came out of the tent to find it was afternoon the next day.

"Hey."

I yelped and turned around. I don't enjoy people surprising me, so I started glaring involuntarily.

There was the guy from the night before, with the hazel eyes, holding his hands up in a surrendering fashion. "We, uh...we found you passed out last night. We didn't want you to get hurt or anything, so..." He trailed off, playing with his thumbs. I held back an overwhelming urge to tackle him and squeeze him like he was a teddy bear. He seemed like such a nice, sweet, cute guy.

"You didn't want her hurt." David, the other guy, the one that tackled me, came from another tent. "You're too sympathetic, Charles. It's plain pathetic." I rolled my eyes at him. He was obviously a bit, ah, what's another word for being unempathetic?

"Hey, at least I'm not the one who has no heart, here...And I have a brain." He chuckled as another guy came out from another tent. This one had white hair, strangely, but I assumed he was another neutral guy because all he wore was blue jeans and a similarly blue t-shirt.

Great. I was surrounded by random people I didn't know, all guys, and I had no way of telling if they were gonne jump me or something.

"Shut up, Charles." The other guy laughed. "I don't go gaga over every girl we meet on the way. Remember last time, David?"

 "Oh, yes, I do quite remember, Shawn." They both ran up to Charles making kissing noises. "Charles and Emily sitting in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!" They chorused.

"Shut up! She was nice, okay!?" Charles blushed and quickly ducked away, making a break for the tent I had woken up in. I assumed it was his. 

"Aw, come on man! You know we're just joking,Charles!" David and Shawn laughed, going after him. I just stood there, confused.

The other guy who I had just met last came back after a few steps. David continued after Charles, and they tumbled into his tent, arguing over stupid things.

"Hey. I'm Shawn." the guy said. He held out his hand. I reluctantly shook it.

"Er-Hi."

"Shy?"

"No! Don't get me wrong. It's just that I've never really, you know. MET anybody." I said hestitantly. It was kind of something I'd never had to say to anyone, so it was awkward. "I just happen to figure out their name somehow. Most likely because I owe them. Something. Don't ask." I added as he started open his mouth. Which he shut automatically.

"So....Where's my pack?" He pointed over next to the fire pit.

"So, do you wanna stay?"

 I shot a gaze towards him. "Um...What?"

 "Well, we learned your dad kinda doesn't treatyou very well, in the short version." He rubbed the back of his neck.

 "Stalkers." I accused.

 "Well, not really but, ah, well.....Do you want to come with us? You can wait for David to come back and explain why, but, we travel a lot. Do you want to come? You won't have to come back here, and all of us know Charles is gonna take care of you." He added with a snicker.

I considered it for a second. No dad, No Derek, No owing half the school a whole lot of stuff, No more town.........Charles and David fell back out of the tent, holding each other around the neck and  yelling something about pancakes for breakfsat. I laughed and grinned. "Sure." I wiped my bangs out of my eyes. "I'd love to come."

And with that, I signed my death wish.