Satisfied, Hammond bidded his brother a good rest, and left the room to the dimming evening light, just as his stomach growled. Only then did he realize that amidst the commotion, evening was quickly arriving and they had managed to miss their noon meal. Hungry was an understatement for Hammond by then, his mind made up to head to the kitchen when a figure stepping into the hallway startled him. Senses still on high alert, his hands rested on his claymore when he recognized the brunette head. "Lady Evelyn, you surprised me." he tilted his body downwards a little, and offered a smile.

In a way, he was a hypocrite. In many ways actually. For as much as he lectured his first in command to stay focused on their goal in coming here, the moment he saw the face of the women he knew as Evelyn Verrick, that involuntary smile somehow found its way to his lips. Many times, Hammond had cursed himself in his room when he knew he was alone. That he was despicable to think of her that way. She was his cousin in a way, so for Heaven's sake that alone should fend him off.

Yet her gentle demeanour, that kind heart that he's seen displayed to everyone on their days spent together, had already done leagues in softening Hammond's hard heart to her. He still didn't think women were beneficial to warriors like him at all... but for awhile, while they were within the protection of Cavalon Castle and not the dangerous lands of the Highlands... maybe for awhile, it was alright.

"The fault is mine, Laird MacKenzie, for not announcing my arrival." she replied with a quick curtsy, the dainty action making Hammond cock his lips upwards in amusement. "I've told you a thousand times Lady Evelyn, that you call me Hammond."

She flushed, a reminder of how pale her cheeks were. Was that a lilt he heard in her voice? He wished she would extend the same familiarity to him, yet she always insisted on Lady Evelyn. In others, it may seem prim and prude, but for the brunette before him with her gentle brown eyes, it seemed... unnatural. How could she be so sweet and nice, yet at the same time insist on her station as a lady?

"H-Hammond. I was just looking for you. Dinner will be served shortly downstairs. Is Captain Gilroy alright?"

"He'll be fine. He's had worst." he brushed off, offering an arm and relishing the spark which tingled at his skin when she took his arm, Hammond led her towards the dining room before asking. "He did ask though, on the woman who tended to him while we were outside. Does she work here? I've never seen her though." And Hammond was sure he would if he did, with her hair brighter even then his own red locks. Her eyes gleamed in a somewhat familiar way to him, but Hammond never got the chance to double check, too worried for Connor at the time.

"Oh! She-she works h-here in... in a way."

The chieftain of the MacKenzie clan frowned, surprised. The Lady Evelyn was not usually so skittish, yet suddenly she shifted uneasily under his arm. "In.. what way, exactly? Connor would like to thank her."

"I-I'm not sure if she could be found.. that is, I mean I'll ask for her! I'm quite sure Father would... wouldn't mind!" 

Suddenly, she parted from his arm the very second they stepped into the hall to rush to the Viscount's side. Despite his curiosity on the hurried, heated whispers passed between daughter and father, Hammond tried, but could not ignore the sudden emptiness that had been filled by her arm before.

---

"I do not want to do this but we have no choice. I have warned you that you're to stay hidden, Evie! How could you just dash out that way!"

Her father paced as he raged in her room, Amelia in her dress of ice blue silk stood in a corner with her head bent. Evie on the other hand, tried and failed to not look overjoyed at how she now could go out of her room, no longer trapped within. He had asked for her! Did he want to know who she was? She had spent the past two days getting berated by her father, but when the injured captain has asked for her, Gregory Verrick almost panicked.