She had just pulled out the fixings for breakfast for dinner when Bryce entered.

"I must have fallen asleep," he said, sitting at the counter.

"Are you hungry?" she asked.

"Starving, what's on the menu?"

"Breakfast," Grace held up a skillet, "my favorite, I love breakfast for dinner."

"I haven't had that for years." He gave a husky laugh. "Not since college."

She was aware of him watching her cook and it made her fumble what she was doing a few times.

"Where did you learn to cook?" He stole a piece of bacon.

"I picked it up somewhere. Do you cook or do your girlfriends cook for you?" she didn't attempt to be subtle.

His face grew serious. "I don't have girlfriends, Grace. I have friends with benefits. I have never found my life conducive to long term relationships. I already have too many responsibilities, I don't wish to add anymore."

Grace turned and studied him, he met her eyes honestly, making sure she understood what he was saying without really saying a word.

Grace nodded once again then laughed.

"What's so funny?"

"Are you aware that you can boss people around without even saying a word?"

Bryce stopped with a piece of bacon halfway to his mouth.

"Are you planning to save me any?" She looked at the half empty plate.

He grinned. "Shall I make the toast?"

Eventually, they finished cooking and sat down to eat in a companionable silence.

When they were done she left him to clean the kitchen, and she headed back to the sitting room to get a little more work done. When Bryce finally joined her he had changed into a pair of old jeans and an NYU sweat shirt. His feet were bare.

"NYU, uh?"

"I lecture there on occasion."

There was silence as she worked a little bit more.

"Grace?"

She looked up absently. "Hmm?"

"Why were you so upset with me and Rainer the other morning, why do you sleep with the light on, and how does Rainer know that?"

Looking at him, she could tell he had been trying not to ask the questions but his curiosity had won out in the end.

"Why Bryce, do you want to solve all of my problems too?"

He frowned.

"It doesn't matter, it was all long ago and it cannot be solved after the fact."

He stared at her, bossing her yet again, demanding that she answer.

Should she tell him? She considered it for a moment, not realizing that she had a faraway look as she was deciding what she should and shouldn't tell him.

Finally, with a sigh, she set her computer aside, moving to a chair across the room from him, pulling her knees up to her chest.

He watched her, waiting patiently as if he had all the time in the world. Her music eventually cut off and the room grew silent except for the rain hitting the window and she had to smile at the dramatic air to the room, her story really wasn't worth it.

"My parents died when I was eight. I had no other relatives so I landed in the state system. No one really wants to take on an eight year old full time so by the time I was seventeen I had had twelve different foster homes.  Some were good, some weren't. Sometimes I'm overly sensitive to siblings teasing, having been used by siblings at my own expense for their entertainment in the past. I felt that you and Rainer were playing a game, using me as the ball, not really caring what happened to me as long as the game was fun." Grace gave a little shiver and rubbed her arms. "There were some really scary homes where trust was a huge issue, and I had to always be on my guard from other children, but also the adults in the house as well.  I'm not afraid of the dark, only of what can hide in the shadows. That was one of those lessons I learned the hard way."