Chapter 30: Where There's a Will

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"Passing period is almost over so you'll get a break," laughed Albany. "I hope doing this isn't taking time out of what I'm sure is a busy schedule."

"Don't worry about it," Dani said. "Rhythmix are participating in this and Amity isn't even back in town yet so I have a lot of free time."

"Those girls are killing it," Albany complimented her. "I just saw Amity perform on GMA this morning before heading here. And the kids here love her. I can't tell you how cool it was to hear some of them singing her song in the halls. New Directions are already working on their cover of it."

Dani smiled, thrilled at how rapidly Amity's song was spreading. "I just wish the group was seeing that sort of success so quickly," she sighed. "I worked so hard on this record with them but the GP just isn't giving them the attention we'd hoped. Sebastian is throwing all his resources at finding the best producers for Jake, giving all his personal time to Sarah and all the promo in the world for Travis. Blaine works with the best writers for Santana and a majority of Amity's songs were co-written with Crystal Army. It just feels like Rhythmix are getting the short end of the stick here."

"Girl groups typically do," sighed Albany. "But I'm sure they'll figure it out. If this song isn't their big hit, another one will be."

"I hope so," Dani agreed. "I want to book them something major. A huge award show or a movie or something where they can display their talent. But anyway, I'm blabbing on here about my problems and you have a class to teach so I'll get out of your hair."

She started walking out and Albany saw the flyers still on her desk. "Oh don't forget your—"

Dani turned around, nodding as she rushed for her belongings. Giving a quick, clumsy wave, she hurried out just as the students were starting to come inside. 

***

"So how were the Grammy's?" Eva asked, taking a sip of her coffee and staring at her computer at Lima Bean. She was taking a day off—she could afford to do so given the large paycheck she had received for the minimal work she had done on Crystal Army's album. After paying off what student debts she had left, there was still enough money left over for her to be on the safe side.

On her screen, Sam sat in what appeared to be his tour bus, eating a bag of Cheetos. "They were really fun. The same people kept winning which was a bit of a let down—though they'd probably disagree. Oh and I ran into Justin Bieber and told him how much I loved him and you know what he said? He said 'Thank you' so I guess that puts to rest all rumors about how rude he is in person."

Eva forced a smile, not convinced it was as simple as Sam saw it, but among other things she liked Sam's bright personality and cheery view on the world. Just as she was about to respond, a hand placed a danish beside her laptop. She looked up to see Charlie there, a frown on his face as he forced himself to say, "Here you go."

"Oh, hi Charlie," she told him. "I didn't know you worked here."

"I tried not to advertise it," he responded as politely as he could.

But Eva wasn't paying much attention, turning her laptop and saying, "Look, Sam, it's Charlie."

Sam waved excitedly. "Oh hey Charlie! Long time without seeing you."

"And I so wish it had been at a different time," said Charlie, a painful smile on his face. "I'll let you two get back to it now..."

As he made his way back to the front counter to continue working, Eva turned to Sam and said, "It doesn't seem like he wanted us to work here."

"Why?" Sam asked. "There's nothing wrong with The Lima Bean. I was a stripper."

Eva laughed and they continued to talk as they were. It had been like this for weeks. Sam hadn't been able to come down to Lima very often but she was pleased by that, thinking getting to know each other while apart was a lot better and purer than how he'd gotten to know Cleo. This way, she made sure that he truly wanted to know her, the person, and not just her, the physical body available to him.