Chapter 1.

Copyright 2016 fuIl_of_fun All Rights Reserved.

COPYRIGHT. This story "Leaving His Mark" including all chapters, prologues/epilogues, and associated content(fanfics,,teasers, and content within blogs, social networks and eReaders) is copyrighted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988.

*************************************

Chapter One

"Anna, good you're here. Please come in and take a seat. I have some figures to recalculate so I won't take long and then we can discuss matters. " The familiar clear cut masculine voice welcomed my arrival. I proceeded towards the plush, chalk white pristine lounge chair that accompanied the shiny sleek black office desk, both the predominant centrepieces of the office. My boss sat idly outstretched in a curt manner behind the desk, hands crossed, looking directly at me, an engraved fountain pen lay outstretched beside his forearm. His crystal blue eyes following my every move as I perched on the edge of the chair and crossed my legs, my black heel almost touching the small bin that lay underneath. I glanced at Jackson Harris, taking in his appearance and gauging what particular mood he was in on this crisp Monday morning. His charcoal black hair was gelled into a slick comb over, an attempt to hide the underlying greys. His crisp navy suit was flawless, not a crease in sight. Although the first three buttons of his shirt were undone, a common action carried out when he was anxious about something rather significant. A sharp glint of light flickered out of the corner of my eye. It drew my sight to it's source, a gold wedding band.

I had met Freida Harris at the staff Christmas celebration ball five years previous. She was a hard-headed woman with an elaborate love for her husband. The two were a perfect match. Both possessed a desirable work ethic. Freida had her own chain of salons across the Big Apple earning her a credible reputation amongst A-listed celebrities and entrepreneurs alike. They had two children whom I'd never met. Jackson Harris was a private man and that was a well respected attribute amongst many including myself.

The clock that hung on the cool beige-coloured wall displayed that it was eight-fifty five. It's persistent ticking added to the thick tension that filled the room. I always stressed about time particularly where work was concerned. Officially, I wasn't expected to start work until quarter past nine but I liked being punctual. Mr Harris had requested my presence as soon as I had walked out of the elevator. I was aware of the three upcoming meetings scheduled for today involving updates concerning six properties our realtors represented for the three primary districts in Manhattan; Lenox Hill, Flatiron District and Carnegie Hill. Primarily, they are the "three gold mines" as referred to by Luxury Listings. The average penthouse between each district would fetch around $25,000,000. Our job is to send out our realtors who target those who are willing to merge in the purchase of properties and then re-sell to our target market. We have at least fifteen mergers that accompany us in the purchasing of property. Once we sell the property's the mergers choose to co-invest in, the profits are split. Specifically, my job is to tend to our finances. Our financial inputs and outputs, our gains and losses, our threats and strengths. The realtors that were due in today were our top three representatives.

I looked down onto the desk and saw the spread sheets that I had printed off yesterday in preparation for the meeting. I hoped I hadn't screwed anything up, I always checked over the figures and corresponded the information to prevent any potential errors or losses. God knows it could be the one weakness in ultimately securing a contract. Doubts flew through my mind. It would take me another half an hour to re-edit them and the realtors are due in at different times throughout the day.

The sun blazed through the large white paned windows. Our floor was on the top. The view was impeccable and I often enjoyed sipping a frothy cappuccino whilst pondering upon new ideas that would potentially rank the company on Forbes' top ten favourable investments whilst admiring the hustle and bustle of the world down below. That was one of the thrilling aspects of working here, setting a goal and achieving both the aspired goal and but also a whopping pay increase. I had proposed at least two promising ideas that had benefited the company and other surrounding businesses: we invest in businesses that furnish our properties. Be-it an aspiring contemporary furniture store or a DIY tools and services provider. They furnish our properties or fit windows whilst we keep our mergers happy. The idea went down a storm and as a result we have ten more mergers and I had a whopping pay check.