Chapter 1

Sophie's POV

"Some say the world will end in fire. Some say in ice...From what I've tasted of desire, I hold with those who favor fire. But if I had to perish twice..."

"I think I know enough of hate, to say that, for destruction, ice, is also great. And would suffice..." I read the words from my English text book with Edward as we sit in the now flowery baseball field. I feel his hands brush my long blonde hair away from my face, pushing it behind my ear and letting it fall down my back. "You know," I breath, feeling Edward place small kisses on the side of my neck, my body shivering in pleasure, "I've got an English final. I gotta focus," I whisper just as his lips meet mine. Letting out a sigh through my nose, my eyes close as I move my lips with his, his plump cold lips sucking gently on mine. Edward moves his hand to grip my neck, pecking my lips one last time.

"Marry me,"

"No," I laugh, the sun hitting his skin perfectly making it sparkle. He chuckles as he moves back, making a little space between our faces, brushing lose hair behind my ears. "Marry me," He repeats looking me dead in the eyes.

"Change me,"

He gives a husky laugh as he sits up. "Okay I will if you marry me. It's called a compromise," He glances between my eyes and my lips, waiting for me to answer. "Let's just call it coercion," I lean over, gently pushing him to lay on his back, our noses brushing slightly. "It's not fair. Marriage is just...It's a piece of paper," I breath, moving my lips to brush over his, not fully kissing him. "Where I am from, it's the way one says, 'I love you'," He tells me, his hand sliding under the bottom of my shirt, gently caressing my hip making my breathing hitch for a second. "Where I come from, at my age...It's the way one says, 'I just got knocked up'," I peck his lips, using his chest to get back up, packing my stuff into my backpack. "So, you're worried about what people will think," He states as I move into his lap, wrapping my arm around his neck. Ever since he moved back, we've shown a lot more affection than before. "You know, two out of three marriages end in divorce," I tell him, running my fingers through the back of his soft hair, our nose brushing again. "Well, I think you'll find the...Vampire/Human or Vampire/Hybrid divorce rate is a little lower," He smiles at me, his eyes reflecting in the sun.

"So marry me,"

"I can't. I have to be back at four," He chuckles at me, pressing his lips to mine one last time before I get up, walking away. I feel his eyes on my backside. Whipping around, I see that he was in fact staring.

"Hey! Eyes off my butt,"

******

I get home, right at 3:59, closing the door behind me, I walk to the living room to see Dad reading the news paper still in his uniform. "4 o'clock on the dot," I take a seat next to him, my backpack on the floor next to me.

"That kid trying to brown-nose me now or something?"

"He has a name. Now he's too punctual for you?" I lean back, resting my feet on the coffee table, hearing my Dad sigh, closing the news paper and setting it on the table. "Okay. You understand why you're being punished, right?" He looks at me, his hands folded. "I know, I put you through hell," I nod my head, knowing what I did...but I don't regret it. "Yes, you did. But I have other reasons for grounding you. Like uh....I just want you to get some separation from him," I sigh, this situation being a little difficult. "What...four months wasn't enough?" I quirk an eyebrow at him, my lips pursed, earning a look from him. "Sorry, it's just--Dad, there's nothing you can say. Edward is in my life," I remove my feet from the table, sitting up more on the couch. "Yeah, I'm gathering that," Dad takes a swig of his beer.

"So, all right, how about this?" He turns his body to face me. "I'll make you a deal. You're not grounded anymore, if...you use your new-found freedom to see some of your other friends, too, like...like Jacob," He mumbles, my eyebrows raising slightly, seeing as he is basically black mailing me. "He's going through a really tough time right now. His Dad's really worried about him. I remember when that was you. You needed a friend. Jake was there," Later that night, after studying for my English final, I decided to take my Dad's advice, so I called Jake. Hey, it's Jake. Leave a message. Great, his voicemail.