A handsome smile crossed his face.  “Now, what can I do for such a lovely lady?”

She smiled back before motioning towards Nathaniel and Alin.  “How about you let my friend in?”

“Sorry,” he said genuinely.  “The shop only allows women to enter, or those of the bloodline. Some weird spell my ancestors placed on it.  I think it had a lot to do with what the women used to do in this place.”

Curiosity burned in her, causing her to lean towards him. “Please, do tell.”

He let out a beautiful laugh and shook his head at her. “Family secrets.  Now, I think you were looking for some horses?”

She nodded her head.  “Some that will carry us for quite some time.  I plan to rest them accordingly, but I cannot have one die on me during the heat.”

“I understand,” he replied.  “Just follow me to the back, and we will have a look at a few.  If your friends would like, they can meet us there.  There is no spell on the outside.”

“That would be great,” she mumbled before turning towards Nathaniel and Alin.  “Meet us around back,” she yelled and waited for them both to nod before following after the man.  They passed several shelves with a multitude of items overflowing them, but Aubrey only spared them a small glance.  She was here for one reason, to get horses and get out of this town before she followed through with her plan.

She took a step outside, and her eyes immediately fell onto the black horse.  It stood tall and proud, no color but black on its coat.  Aubrey was in love.  This was her horse.  This proud creature would be the one she would take with her on her short journey.  “I want him,” she said, pointing at the horse.

The man next to her winced.  “He does not like people.  He must have come from a bad family, because he will not let anyone around him.”

Aubrey shook her head.  “It must be a good thing that I have Alin with me,” she said just as her two friends appeared.

Nathaniel immediately pointed to a brown and white mare.  “I choose her.  She does not look as if she would cause too much trouble, but she has a spark that lets me know that she would be a fine horse.”

The man nodded. “Mirabelle is a great horse, fine choice.”

“Alin,” Aubrey began, “I need you to take care of the horse.”

“What is wrong with him?” Alin asked as he took a step towards the black stallion.

“He came from a bad lot,” she mumbled as she glanced up and down the row of animals.  The one she had just chosen would not be for her, she realized.  That horse was for Alin.  He needed something like the stallion to keep his attention on. 

Walking down the row of stables, she stopped when she heard the noise from the other side of the door.  Glancing back at the man, she raised an eyebrow.  “What is behind this door?”

His eyes narrowed at the door as if he were attempting to read something on it before remembrance crossed his face.  “That is Star.  She has a large star on her head. Gentle creature and loyal to a fault, she would be a great choice also.”

“I’ll take her,” Aubrey mumbled as the door opened to reveal the beautiful creature before her.  When the man had said she had a star on her head, Aubrey had envisioned many different possibilities, but she had never expected the pure white horse that stared back at her.  The only color on her body was the large black star shape on her forehead. 

“Hello, Star,” Aubrey mumbled as she ran her hand over the horse’s face.  It pushed at her hand, making her let out a small laugh.  Looking at it, she noted the riding blanket already on her back.  “Someone has been riding her?”

“My sister,” the man answered.  “She will be upset once she realizes Star is gone, but it is for the best.  I know the horse will be taken care of better if she is with you.”

Aubrey nodded before coaxing the animal out of the stall.  “She will be loved and cared for.”

The man walked towards her.  Leaning down, he held his hands out as if he were going to boost her onto the horse.  Looking over at Alin and Nathaniel, she noted that they were already sitting proudly on top of their own finds.  Setting her foot in the man’s hand, she pushed herself up quickly, not wanting to hurt him.

He rose to his feet and smiled.  “I hope that you will return, if only to let me know how the horses are doing.”

She smiled at him.  “I wish you luck in your future endeavors, and if I am alive, I will return on my journey home.”

“That is all I can ask,” he said while running his hand down Star’s neck.  “My sister would kill me if she knew I let you leave without at least asking.”

“Thank you,” Aubrey said, tossing him a bag of coins.  “I hope that will be enough for your trouble.”

He weighed the bad in his hands before shaking his head.  “You paid me too much.”

She shrugged.  “You deserved it.”

“Thank you,” he mumbled.  Walking behind Star, he entered his shop again with a quick, “Have a safe journey,” thrown over his shoulder.

Aubrey smiled and waved as she exited the village.  Nathaniel and Alin were not far behind, and the fact comforted her a little.  She would not be alone once she set her plan into motion.  Glancing back, she noticed that the village was no longer in sight.  This was the perfect time.  Dropping her shields, she let her magic flow from her body.

“What are you doing?” Nathaniel croaked.

She glanced over at him and watched as he eased his horse closer to her as if he could not help himself.

“I am leaving a trail.”

“Why?” Alin asked, staying firmly in his spot, but with a dazed expression on his face.

Aubrey smiled at them.  “If I cannot find her, I will let her find me.  It is time to see the face of my enemies.”