Chapter 1

Chapter 1-
Katie:

Sitting on my couch, I look at the gold and purple invitation with my named swirled in a beautiful writing: *you are cordially invited to...*. It was wedged in my door when I got home from work, the envelope bent and a bit surprising.

I've been contemplating on opening the invite, at the same time felt reluctant.

This could be just another reminder for me to make an appointment to the optometrist in fancy paper at 50% off from my insurance.

There was no way it could be anything else. Ripping open the envelope, I was expecting a thin piece of paper but this felt smooth and thick.

Before I could pull out the invite and read anything I hear a knock at my door.

"Katie open up!" a female voice says through it, I smile a little when i realize that it's my sister Viola.

Opening the door, she rushes in and throws her purse on the couch, immediately sitting down with crossed legs.

"Did you get this in the mail?" she asks me.

"Hello to you too sis," I respond as I close the front door.

"Hi. Did you get this too?" She tells me in a dismissive tone, holding the same colored envelope in her hand.

I frown a little sitting on the couch next to her, I grab it from the table and show her with a nonchalant look on my face.

"We are going!" She says in excitement. I love my sister but she can be too enthusiastic. This can be a scam to lure women for their money.

"How do you know it's even real?" I question.

"Because one of my girlfriends went to the ball last year, she met him and said that the Prince is hypnotising." She breathes out the last word and smiles widely at me.

"She probably heard a rumor about him, he's been hiding. Besides you don't even need to go, you're engaged," i say.

"So? That doesn't mean I can't go, Eric won't mind. Drinks and free food, plus you need this to forget about what's his name," her tone is smug and snotty when she mentions my ex.

"You mean Sean."

"Whatever. He left and you need to move on, Mom and Dad would want you to."

"Mom and Dad just wants grandkids to spoil."

"Nothing is wrong with that." I let out the air from my lungs and laid back on my couch.

It will mark at least two months since he left, I only called him once to see if he made it to Japan but now i can't even go on any of his social media pages.

He has always wanted to be a photographer, he finally got his chance to his career at Japan's top magazine companies and I'm proud of him. He probably has a new girlfriend.

I turn to my sister and she's anticipating for a response from me.

"Fine I'll go but if this is some type of fake party and there's a drug raid I'm blaming you." I tell with no other choice.

"Awesome! Now lets go shopping to find frou frou dresses for the occasion." she's so delighted by my answer that she does a quick dance in my living room. I tell her that we should open the invites to see the theme.

Here's the first chapter for the #onceuponnow contest. Voting starts June 14 and ends June 21st. Another chapter will be tomorrow.