↳ CHAPTER THREE

Start from the beginning

        Frankly, every time he opened his mouth, the question marks floating in her mind only doubled — he didn't seem to have the slightest clue of how to behave, yet his unusual manners didn't come off as crass as they could have. Rather than rude, he was more peculiar than anything, yet there was an undeniable charm to him and his smooth accent; not to mention the deep, piercing gaze that hardly left Olympia throughout the whole drive.

        "They're stopping", the blonde piped up, changing the subject as she nodded towards the black cars parking by the edge of a hill, leading to a facility separated from the rest of the world. It looked completely out of place, especially with the armed guards and scientists buzzing around like their lives depended on it, and the sight caused a lump in Olympia's throat as she stopped the car at a fair distance and contemplated on her next move. But, even if she was starting to succumb to the regret bleeding within her, Thor wasn't bothered by the potential threat, and bravely jumped out of the truck and into the darkening evening before slamming the door far too loudly.

        Grumbling to herself, Olympia followed his lead, but only to grab his wrist before he could somersault off of the hill. In reality, Thor could have easily shrugged her hold off of himself, yet he halted on his feet and turned to meet her alarmed stare with much less worry. "You're not really going there, are you? Do you plan on just walking in, grabbing your, uh, hammer and walking back out? Seems a little unrealistic, don't you think?" she reminded, admittedly a little concerned with the amount of security placed all over the camp-like location.

        Her wary tone failed to shake Thor though, as he broke into a cheerful grin and softly disconnected Olympia's hand from his own. "Of course not", he assured, but before the woman could sigh out in relief, he was continuing with, "I plan on flying out."

        With that, he stomped away, and as much as the Amodei wanted to be of assistance, she found herself unable to join him. Instead, in the rising tides of panic, she crawled back to the truck with the heat of the night adding to the nervous sweat, her fingernails winding up between her teeth instinctively. There was nothing she could do to stop Thor, however, so all that was left to do was pray for his survival as his fading figure sneaked into the facility after effortlessly smacking down a couple of guards. They had to be breaking multiple laws — hell, maybe Olympia had unknowingly taken a road trip with a wanted man, but she tried to give him the benefit of the doubt.

        Or, maybe she was just too frozen in place to hop in the truck and speed away.

☾☾☾

        WHEN NO SIGHT of Thor reappeared in what felt like an eternity, Olympia had made the reluctant choice to call Erik and beg for his help, even with the risk of never hearing the end of his lectures about impulsive choices. And after watching the situation like a horror movie from atop the hill, hidden by the weeds on the ground as she crouched away from the guards, she had finally heard the familiar sound of Erik's own car as he, Darcy and Jane arrived, ready to reprimand their friend. In all honesty, Olympia was willing to take the rants — she just wanted Thor to be fine.

        "Okay, food is on me tonight, I swear. Just help me save him", the woman submitted begrudgingly, not a fan of situations where she had been in the wrong, but thankfully, Erik led the group down to the front of camp with a mouth full of little white lies ready to go. Darcy, on the other hand, didn't hesitate to jab at Olympia.

        "Says the woman without a job...", she muttered, mostly fondly, but it earned her a shove on the arm, anyway.

        While Erik rambled on about Thor's identity — the one that belonged to the infamous ex-boyfriend — with the help of a quickly formed fake ID and a detailed backstory, Olympia walked in small circles with her eyes scanning the surroundings. A part of her was unhappy that her first instinct had been to call her friends, but after waiting for Thor's return for what must have been hours, there was no room for her lone attempts to save the man from Coulson and his agents. It could have ended terribly, whereas Erik's story was either convincing or annoying enough for the suits to roll over and cave in.