He pressed his lips over hers and enveloped her in his arms. He gently kissed her, nibbled at her lips and swept his tongue over the seams. Summer was breaking down in his arms, a tear now falling from her eyes. He was so gentle with her, coaxed all the sadness out of her body by transferring all the joy of winter from him into her. She felt it as he dipped his tongue into her mouth and slowly kissed her, so languidly and softly, it was like he was making love to her, right there in the snow.

When she had no breath left to breathe, Jack pulled away and blindly led her towards the edge of the lake, Summer following almost in a hazy state of mind. She couldn't think, couldn't find up and down. All she sensed was Jack's hands in hers, leading her onto the ice. When that first crack of her feet meeting it sounded, panic fled through her body. "I-is it safe?"

She heard Jack tap his cane twice against the ice. "It is now. Come on."

She gulped down her fear and kept her eyes closed as she followed him. She wasn't sure she could trust his word as she continued to hear the ice creak beneath her when she took another step. He didn't let go of her hands, but squeezed them tightly and let her know he was right there. She had no idea how far they were out on the ice until he suddenly stopped.

"Open your eyes, Summer."

Only because he was holding her hands did she dare to peel her eyelids apart. Little by little, the bright white winter wonderland appeared before her eyes and revealed... she was standing in the middle of the lake.

"Oh, my God," Summer shakily croaked and swallowed a heavy lump. She was in the middle. What if the ice cracked? What if she drowned? Couldn't get up? Couldn't—

"No harm is going to come to you," Jack said to her and made her eyes swirl back on him. "Because I'm right here. I'm looking out for you. Ice and snow is only scary if you don't execute caution," He whispered. "Like anything in life, if you're not careful, you could get hurt. Don't let winter take the blame for what could've happened with anything. Life is dangerous," He said and wiped the tear away that apparently rolled down Summer's cheek. "that's why we've got to make the most of it. Christmas is a time that reminds us of that. Don't be afraid anymore, Summer. Be free instead. Like your parents."

Summer closed her eyes and cried silently. She knew deep in her heart that what Jack said was true. Her parents could just as easily have died sailing or flying, was she supposed to hate water and air the rest of her life, then? Her fear of ice and snow had only been because she had been angry; angry that her parents decided to take a trip out to fetch the last gift she never got in the middle of the snowstorm. She told them she didn't care about the present, she just wanted them for Christmas. But her parents loved her too much; They wanted her to enjoy her present and told her they would just be away ten minutes.

But ten minutes became forever and Summer ended up 'enjoying' what was the first of many lonely Christmas Eve's.

"Come on," Jack murmured, bringing Summer back to the present. "Try moving with me."

Summer was scared, but with Jack there, it didn't seem as scary. She knew she had to get over her fear somehow, and here with Jack, she knew there was no one she would rather get over it with.

Carefully, she moved her foot. The ice felt slippery below her boot, but Jack held her firm. He moved his foot as well, waiting for her to take the next move. Timidly, she did.

One slide became two. Two became three, and three became countless. Before Summer really realized she was doing it, her and Jack were sliding slowly around on the ice, the thrill in her stomach telling her she was skating.

"Oh, my God." She gulped. She was skating.

"You're doing it!" Jack smiled widely and kept her skating. He was really good at it. "You're doing it, Summer!"