Depths of Aegir

It was your average getting ready for school morning.

You know what, that sounded like the old horror tales we were told as kids; "It was a dark and stormy night......" that usually involves people getting trapped in an old abandoned castle or something.

But, my morning started out pretty normal, except that my crazy inventor of a dad shot me through time. Yay me.

I've never really labeled my Dad's profession other than "Inventor," but the closest thing that comes to mind is the Dad from "Honey, I shrunk the kids!"  

Come to think of it, I don't really blame him for everything he created. He had PHDs in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, Physics, and quite a few others that I happened to forget. I guess after Mom died when I was just a wee lad, his mental state just went downhill from there. He still took care of me, with our neighbor taking me home from school till I could ride the bus, and his former military pension funding our weekly grocery run trips and the parts for his junk.

Other than my Dad being a mentally broken person with a teenage son, my morning was pretty normal, till the fire.

My phone went off at the usual 6 A.M. Today was December 7th, 2016, and if my history serves me right, today was the anniversary of the Attack on Pearl Harbor, 1941. I awoke to my daily motivational messages every 2 minutes, consisting but not limited to; "WAKE UP YOU LAZY BUM," "GO SHOWER," "GET UP" and "U GOT SCHOOL."

I rolled out of bed, cleansed the filth off my body, dressed in a lovely pair of jeans and a Star Wars t-shirt, (cause of Rogue One premiering the 16th!) made my lunch and shoved it all into a plastic bag, which contained the classic PB&J, some off brand oreos, a good 'ol Granny Smith apple and some chips. Then, I had to grab all of my school stuff that I laid strewn all over my desk, cause you know, I'm lazy. I shoved all my notebooks, pencils, laptop, chargers, lunch, and a lovely blank notebook that i've been holding on to for close to five months, into my backpack, and slung that sucker over my shoulder.

I was five feet from the front door, bus right around the block, and the kitchen fire alarm goes off: you know, your everyday emergency that prevents you from finishing your first semester of your third year in highschool.

I rushed to our kitchen, which opened to our basement stairway, grabbed the nearest chair, plopped it under the fire alarm, and ripped it out of the ceiling, then popped its batteries out. I also had a very quick return to Earth when I lost my balance and fell, spraining my left ankle when I landed.

Still wearing my backpack, because it's really heavy and i'm really slow (mentally) sometimes, I grabbed our up to code fire extinguisher under the kitchen sink, and hopped across the kitchen to the stairs, favoring my left leg, and started down the stairs to find out what my dad has managed to set fire today.

So I rush, more like carefully hop, down the stairs fire extinguisher in hand, ready to spray foam over everything. I ended my stair escapade with a pretty large wince, and busted through the door that separated our basement; one third of it being a nice finished area with a TV and some couches, which haven't been sat on in over four years, and the other was a my dad's "bunker."

I called it his bunker because he rarely left it; he slept, ate, worked, spent leisure time there, and conversed with other online inventors that all happened to really like the same game made by Blizzard, Overwatch. I think he was going to implement a bathroom down there, but from that, he only left his bunker to resupply his food stash, which was a mini fridge, use the restroom, go to Home Depot for parts he couldn't order online, go to the grocery store, and shower, which was about once every two weeks.