Ugly Duckling's Mr. Right

Start from the beginning

                She saved me? No. everyone knows that the Assistant Operations Manager position is up for grabs. Honestly, I think, I have the slightest chance of nailing the promotion because almost everyone in the office has the looks to go with the aggressiveness. Poor Raffie, where's that shovel? Why not make it a week?

                "You might want to join me for a snack?" Mariel offered. She wasn't expecting me to join with her, is she? Nevertheless, I declined her "generosity". After all, she's so pretty, she doesn't have to be so kind. Why does she have to be perfect? Angst, insecurity. Whatever.

                "You sure?" she looked so inviting.

                "Hmmmm... Okay, I'll go with you.  I'm hungry, too."

                I ordered coffee, she ordered diet Coke. I munched on potato chips, she had organic salad. She was worried she'll gain weight, I was worried she'll be blown away by the November wind. Oh, life.

                "Have you seen the latest issue of Vogue? Paris Hilton is on the cover. I tell you, that body is to die for!" she exclaimed, as if it meant an end to global economic recession with this Paris Hilton being on Vogue. And if by the phrase "to die for" has its literal meaning, well, hell yeah I agree. Anyone can be a goner with that body, anorexia can really kill you.

                "Not yet." I nonchalantly said, hoping to put an end to the whole Vogue-Paris conversation.

                "Oh, that's sad." Then she put on the saddest face ever. What's with her? Will I be dead for not seeing Paris Hilton, half naked, holding a puppy, sporting the latest swimwear collection?

                "Hey, we better get back to the office. Boss Rex has not yet seen me. I might be dead. And when that happens, I won't have the money to buy the latest issue of Vogue magazine, Mariel." I tried hard to paint one of my fakest smiles on my lips. Please. Drop the topic. Please.

                "Okay." She smiled. God, this girl is so mercurial. She changes mood in just a snap.

                "Miss Martinez, have you come here all the way from New York City, for God's sake?!"

                Boss Rex looks like Incredible Hulk now. I don't know whether I'll laugh or laugh harder, which I know are both wrong, but I can't help it. Evil grin.

                "Are you listening?" T-Rex shouted.

                "No sir. I mean, yes sir." I'm trying hard not to laugh here.

                "I said, why are you late? You let our biggest client wait. Good thing Mariel is around... Blah, blah, blah."

                I need to think of a good thing, the sight of my boss is just so scary, it's worse than watching the Japanese version of The Ring-in 3D!

                Good thing. Good thing. Peter Pan said, I need to think of a good thing so I can fly. Good thing. Suddenly, I thought of Mr.MRT. Pwede!

                I guess it's true, you know, the thing they said about getting lost in someone's eyes. I still remembered how he looked like, how he took the kindness of telling me about my unsecured fly, well, yeah, maybe he just want to help me after all, because my fly is open. And my panty is peeking out, or something. And the way he laughed was just amazing, though I know he was laughing at me. Still, I imagined how good it would feel if he was laughing WITH me. I wished I got his name. I pray to God that we'll meet each other again.