I hate wearing swimming costumes. I absolutely hate it. I’m not skinny enough to feel at ease in such minimal amounts of clothing. I just feel so self conscious. We arrive at the pool and Ollie dumps his stuff on the nearest sunlounger. I place my things down next to his. He immediately takes of his t-shirt and flip flops and begins applying suntan lotion. I however am a little more reluctant. I want to stay in my sundress for as long as possible. That’s why I applied all my suntan lotion in the hotel room. I remove my sandals but wait patiently for Ollie to finish with the suntan lotion. I’m not taking off the dress until it is absolutely necessary. Absent-mindedly my eyes immediately scan the area and I begin counting the number of people heavier than me here. Usually that builds up my confidence. That was a mistake. I’m in a fancy hotel in LA everyone here is unbelievably tiny. I’m going to feel like a whale stood next to this lot. The person beside me hasn’t a scrap of fat on her. The person next to her looks like she has never seen a scrap of food in her whole entire life. Talking about food my eyes snap over to the poolside buffet with an intense longing. I haven’t been able to eat properly the whole time I’ve been here. Every time I consider ordering something larger than a salad Melody’s pedantic warning runs through my head ‘You don’t want to walk down the aisle as a podgy bride.’ That stops me in my tracks. So I stick to salad which means I have forgotten what it was like to feel full. Instead I just feel desperately hungry 24/7. Last night Ollie was eating chips and I was clutching onto my fork so tightly to stop my hand from reaching out and grabbing one. They were those really nice chunky chips as well. It was horrible to have to sit there watching him eat while I was stuck with limp lettuce leaves. I’m staring at the collection of breads which causes a particularly painful ache of pain to gurgle in my stomach. I would give anything to be able to walk over to that buffet and eat something other than a salad without feeling like a fat lump. “What is Isabelle doing here? I thought she had work to be getting on with,” I quickly tune into the conversation I wasn’t even aware was taking place as I was too busy staring at the food. I turn my attention away from the buffet to find Melody stood by Ollie. “I figured I could spare a little time,” I answer. “Oh and please just call me Izzie,” I say politely but the sentence I had originally created in my head had to be severely edited to end up as polite as this. Melody just smiles at me but judging by the malicious glint in her eye it wasn’t a genuine one.

We spent a couple of hours lazing by the pool. But eventually we tire of it and decide to head back up to our rooms after one last dip in the pool. When Melody emerges from the pool every guy in the vicinity stops to stare at her as she flicks her hair over her shoulder which lies sleekly down her back. When I slosh my way out of the pool I seem to attract considerably less attention. As a complete contrast to Melody my hair has descended into a knotty, frizzy mess… my hair really doesn’t agree with chlorine. I quickly haul my dress back over me not caring that water from my swimming costume is now seeping into my dress. I just wanted to be covered up again.

Once back in my room and my hair has been shampooed and conditioned into submission I am back staring at the empty computer screen. But once again I have nothing to say. My mind is just blank. But I have discovered that if I was an animal I would be a panda bear. Ollie crawls onto the bed beside me where I am sitting cross legged and frowning. “Still nothing?” he inquires. I shake my head. “I’ll be back in a minute,” he says suddenly getting up and walking out the door. Had I not been still racking my brain for something to say I would have probably inquired to where on earth he was going at such short notice at this time of the day. But I didn’t ask and any thoughts about Ollie’s whereabouts disappeared as suddenly, as if a plug had been pulled inside me, the words I had been searching for all day surge into my brain and onto my empty word document. I become so wrapped up in the words desperate to get them down before they abandon me again that it’s only after I’ve sent my finished draft off that I notice Ollie still hasn’t come back yet. Strange. I don’t know why but I decide the best course of action is to stick my head out into the corridor to look for him. As I approach the door I begin to hear voices. I can definitely hear Ollie’s voice but he’s with someone else. I strain my ears in an attempt to identify the second voice. It doesn’t take me long. Melody.

With a rush of panic I haul open the door and dart into the corridor. My heart freezes as I watch Melody press her body up against Ollie’s flattening him against the wall. A surge of relief courses through me when I see Ollie make a visible effort to move away from her with a look of extreme shock on his face. He’s trying to get away from her. But my heart sinks as Melody throws her lips down onto his. Without thinking I slam the door closed and lean up against it breathing deeply. I just feel sick. I can’t think straight. I feel like someone has squished all the air out of my lungs and I can’t breathe properly. I don’t know what to do so I just freeze. A flurry of emotions swirl around in my mind so jumbled up I can’t even determine which is the most prominent. I feel dizzy so I squeeze my eyes closed. By the time I’ve opened them I’ve made up my mind. I’m not upset, I’m not scared and I’m not disappointed. I’m just plain old mad. I saw with my own eyes Ollie attempt to move away. There was no encouragement on his part. Ollie had done nothing wrong. This was all Melody. The bitch had made a move on my fiancé. She didn’t think I was just going to sit back and let her throw herself at Ollie without so much as a fight, did she? Swinging the door back open with quite a force I march back into the corridor. Melody Bloom it’s time for me to show you what I really think of you. Just put it this way; you are in trouble.