The Woods

Everyone has had that one moment that you look at something and you don't think you have or could ever see something more beautiful. You look at it and you think to yourself, jeez, I need to fix my life. Or, I need to tell her I love her more. I see that something every day when I go out to our woods. The small forest that lies right on my home, the small forest that could be lost forever on this very day. I'm sitting on my bed looking out my small window at the Woods and revising my plan. I was most likely going to get myself killed trying to save her.

We, being me and my husky, don't own the Woods officially. But we still think of it as ours because we've known it practically our whole life. When we refer to our small forest as the Woods, we mean everything in the Woods, all the small animals and the large deer, all the friendly bears and all the birds. Even the little stream, no wider than 6 or 7 feet, has always been known to being part of the Woods.

My husky, Willow, and I have been living in an abandoned trailer for 10 years now. When I was only 6 (or was it 7?) we ran away from my grandparents home. They were always cruel to us. They seemed depraved as they fed us small and unhealthy leftovers or sometimes nothing at all. They would beat us for nothing. Probably out of their own pure sick joy. And yet, Willow and I lived through that for so many years.

My mother died when I was only 1 year old. She worked at the local factory and she got caught in one of the deadly machines and died almost immediately. My father walked out on her before I was even born. I didn't know anything about him and at the same time I didn't want to. So I was left with my only family members, my grandparents. We decided to run away when my grandmother nearly killed us. She was angry, very angry, so all she did was whip a knife at me. When she missed she tried to throw it at Willow. She missed again and we ran.

The entire struggle to save the Woods was most likely for nothing. The Woods were probably being torn down today because of this company called the Yum company. They plan to put a Wendy's in the place. This is the first Wendy's they will have here in this small town of Windlecove. Windlecove, Alaska.

When we ran away we somehow ended up here in this old trailer right by our woods. So today is my last chance to save the Woods. I've thought of so many ways to save the Woods and every one of them I've tried and failed. I had one more plan. I could only do this plan, however, when the trucks were actually about to start. This plan was also my most dangerous and was the plan that was only of my last resort. This was my last resort.

The plan consisted of the bears in the Woods and about 5 pounds of gasoline. I already have the gasoline, but I don't have the bears, of course. The bears will come when they wish to. This is why I have trout.

"Willow," I called to my faithful husky.

She came bounding in not a second later. She was the type of husky you see in movies or at a dog show, only she was all white. Her eyes we green, which was extremely rare. I don't know many dogs with green eyes. She ran up to me and jumped with her paws on my chest, and began to lick my face. I laughed to her. I don't think I could ever have a better friend. She was excited because she knew what we were doing today. She was ready to save the Woods.

We ran out of our trailer and out to the small forest that only stretched about 1 mile wide and a mile long. We ran to our spot in the Woods and grabbed the trout that was tied up the tree. We couldn't keep it in our trailer. We didn't want to cause a bear problem in the nearby neighborhood.

We ran to the opening site and there, right where I left it, was about 3 buckets of gasoline. I smiled to myself, this might work.

We took the gasoline and poured it all over the area they would park the bulldozer. The set up was a very quick process but the whole point was to not get caught, which was difficult to avoid for there was a police building right by the site. Suddenly, after hiding behind a tree for hours, a tall dark figure appeared behind a tree.