I didn't answer him, instead I let my glare deepen. 

"Can't wait to see who ends up with her. He's got to be an alpha to be paired with that level of defiance," the grey eyed one said after a minute of silence, "whoever it is is going to have to pay out the nose to get her."

"No doubt about that, man. I don't think we'll ever get a paycheck bigger than the one she will produce."

Paycheck. They were going to sell me. Daddy always told me that nothing was as motivating as a paycheck. Nothing is as motivating as a paycheck and the only reasons to sell a child were bad ones.

With this realization I started to plot my escape. 

I quietly filled my lungs with air before looking straight into the grey eyed man's eyes and letting out the loudest screech I'd ever produced, making it progressively higher pitched until I was positive that the sound would make people cringe a mile away. 

The two strangers dropped to their knees clutching their ears in a vain attempt to prevent the sound from making their ears bleed. 

Still screaming I spun on my heels and started to run as fast as I could back toward the park. 

I only got a few feet before I ran out of air and my scream faltered before dying in my throat. 

Before I could get more air in my lungs I was scooped up from behind, and a foul smelling rag was shoved over my mouth and nose. 

I stopped breathing for as long as I could manage, but eventually my lungs started to feel like they were on fire and black dots swirled before my eyes. Mustering up the last of my strength I looked into the eyes of the dark one and forced myself to breath slowly. A new kind of darkness threatened to take me under. 

With my last moment of consciousness I whispered, "Nobody will ever love the monster that you are inside."

The probability that it came out right was very low but I could tell he understood by the brief flash of regret that crossed his features before the world went black for me and I floated into the oblivion of whatever was on that rag. 

I woke up tied to the big beasty that I ran into. A fast wind was rushing past one side of my face and fur was shifting slightly against the other.

Running beside the big beasty that I was tied to was another one that was slightly smaller and had blond fur instead of the black that was brushing against my face. He looked over at me and yelped a little. Probably telling the black beasty that I was awake. In response the black beasty picked up his speed a little more, sprinting the last of the distance between us and our destination. 

He skidded to a stop in front of a big house and waited for a second until the grey eyed man walked out of the trees and started to untie me. 

I tried to make my mouth work so I could talk to him, demand to know where I was, but all I could manage was to open and close my mouth repeatedly.

"Don't worry kid, the taste doesn't last forever," he said as he loosened the last strap, and I slid off the big beasty.

"Where am I?" I finally managed to croak out. 

He smiled a little, "You are at the HMH. That is, Human Mates House. This is where you're going to live until you grow up."

"No. This is where I'm going to live until my daddy comes and rescues me."

"I hate to break it to you kid, but your daddy isn't coming. This place isn't on any map; it doesn't exist. Now come on. I need to get you checked in."