Chapter two: Edited

It was early in the morning. I'd gone on a four mile run, mind craving the mindless activity. I'd always loved running, making me one of the few. When I got back, I heard the beginnings of my mom and Sam making breakfast, but I figured there was time for a shower. 

After the shower, I headed downstairs again to find that the rest of the household was awake as well. The smell of biscuits and gravy made my mouth water. It was only 8:30 now.

"Hey blue eyes, set the table." Coda commanded as I walked into the dining room. I was the only one in the household with blue eyes. My moms' eyes were brown and all of the guys, including Sam, my step-dad, had green eyes. Why he had felt the need to nickname me because of it a couple of years ago was beyond me.

"Why don't you do it. You're just sitting there being lazy." I shot back, meeting his glare.

"Because I'm older and I don't want to. So let's try again shall we. Hey blue eyes, set the table." 

I decided that an argument this early over something like setting the table wasn't worth the trouble, so after sighed heavily I walked over to the cabinets and began pulling out plates.

"I'll help you Alice." Caine chimed, popping up next to me. I couldn't help but grin down at his adorable smile.

"Thank you. It's so nice to have a real man in the house." I remarked, loud enough for everyone to hear, while ruffling his hair playfully. He laughed at me before sticking his tongue out at Coda.

"Hey!" Sam's voice carried from the kitchen, exaggerated betrayal evident in his voice. I laughed aloud.

"Fine, at least we have two real men." I corrected quickly, setting the table with Caine's help.

"While you're at it, would you mind getting me a glass of orange juice?" Costin asked. 

"Same." Christopher added.

I frowned at them, though it was more playful than irritated. Without responding, I stood back up and made my way to the kitchen.

"Get me some too!" I heard Coda call out with a hint of laughter. Rather than making all of their drinks,  I pulled out eight cups for us and brought the entire gallon of orange juice back to the dining room with me. I set up a cup for each place around the table and walked around, filling each one by one. 

"Thank you, Alice." Caine was the only one to thank me, but I was more than used to the child being the only one with manners. I kissed him on the forehead in reward. 

"You're very welcome."

The twins pretended to puke while Coda looked at us in horror. Slowly, a smirk fell on his lips though. I knew that almost nothing good came of that look. 

"Caine, want to know what I heard earlier this morning?" Caine gave him a weird look, just as suspicious as I was.

"What?"

"There are going to be some storms  in a couple of days. They're going to be pretty severe from the looks of it." I saw Caine's lower lip puff out as he looked down at the table. Storms had always scared him.

"What's wrong? Still scared of a little thunder. You're such a baby." Coda's taunt was enough to put me over the edge. I stood up sharply, glaring across the table at Coda, who only raised an eyebrow in response. 

He's tempting you.

"Caine is seven years old, and literally the sweetest thing ever. How can you be so mean to him? What's wrong with you?" My voice was raised, but Coda remained composed. 

"Aw, are his little feelings hurt? Does that make you mad, Alice?" He mocked. Without really knowing what I was going to do, I walked around the table. Coda glanced over at the twins, as if he thought something was funny. By the time he was looking back at me, my hand was already connecting to his face.