A Child Changes Everything. [A Convincing Performance]

Start from the beginning

You didn't eat at breakfast. You didn't even acknowledge you were being spoken to. Any outsider would think you were depressed, maybe even in shock. You were sure Thomas thought that, because he didn't press for you to eat like he did the previous night. He simply watched you as he chewed. It made you uncomfortable, but you didn't let it on to him. You stared blankly at the wall in front of you until Charlie finally escorted you back to your room. She seemed tired and irritated at being your babysitter, and barked at the closest guard to take you the rest of the way. You looked back, seeing her storm up the staircase to the third floor before the guard slammed the door in your face. Footsteps sounded above your head. You heard muffling voices as Charlie spoke angrily. Then Thomas' cool drawl drowned her out. He spoke in a soothing tone, and instantly the yelling subsided. You listened for a while longer but only silence met your ears.

You spent the morning laying on the wooden floor beside the bed. You couldn't rest, your mind abuzz with thoughts of what you were planning. The chime of the clock on your nightstand signaled 11 am and you got up hastily, heart thumping, palms sweating. Your foot wiped over the drawing your finger traced unconsciously in the dust on the floor. It was a stick figure portrait not unlike those Kelly often drew. You were there with Kelly, Draco, and Harry. But it was gone in an instant. You wiped your hands against your pant leg and took a deep breath as you came up to the bedroom door. Your hand rose hesitantly before finally it collided with the door loudly. Once. Twice. Three times. Until finally a guard, wand pointed, opened the door with a crack and poked his eye at you.

"I'd like to see Thomas Ellington."

"Lunch is in an hour."

"Now."

He looked taken aback at your command, and you didn't break eye contact with the man, showing no fear on your face even though inside you were cowering. He sniffed and shut the door with a click. You waited to the point when you thought he'd forgotten you when the door opened wide this time and revealed Charlie.

"What is it you want, then?" she asked in a snarky manner.

"I wish to see Thomas."

"You will wait until lunch."

"I wish to see him now. I have my answer to his proposal." Charlie's bottom lip trembled ever so slightly. In fact, if you hadn't been watching for it, you would have missed it altogether.

"Fine, then."

"Might you have something more presentable for me to wear?"

You pointed down at your dust covered jeans and shirt. Charlie rolled her eyes but nevertheless led you away to her own bedroom. You knew that she cared more about her boss' happiness than her own, and he surely would not be happy with her looking so ratty.

Charlie's room was dark, mostly due to the black curtains the draped the large floor-to-ceiling windows. Her décor matched them, the color scheme being black and gold. She opened the wardrobe and grabbed the first dress she saw and threw it your way. Luckily it landed on your head, otherwise you wouldn't have even seen it coming. Your eyes had been trained on a small dagger that sat on a table six feet in front of you until the fabric impeded your vision. Charlie watched you, expectantly.

"A little privacy?" you asked hopefully. She snorted and kept her gaze fixed on you. You sighed and began to undress, not daring to eye the dagger again in case she saw. Charlie tapped her foot impatiently as you threw the black satin dress over your shoulders. The cool fabric made you shiver in the already chilly house.

"Right then. Let's go." She shoved past you impatiently, taking your arm and pulling you with her. You shut your eyes tight, trying your hardest to will that dagger into your hand before you cleared the doorway and lost your chance. You imagined Kelly watching the floating telescope in amazement in McGonagall's office. You pictured the dagger floating to you in just the same way. You opened your hand wide, praying that by some miracle what you were imagining would come true. Then, just two steps from leaving the room on Charlie's heels, it took all your will not to gasp aloud as the cold metal of the handle touched your skin. You slipped the steel blade underneath the thin material of the dress, holding your arm self-consciously against your hip to hide it. Hopefully it wasn't extremely noticeable.

You were led up the staircase, and you made sure to look down the gaping hole that led to the first floor. Any moment now, the man with the plates would be opening that mysterious door you saw earlier. But your thoughts were interrupted as you reached the final step.

"Miss. Rogers. You called for me? How refreshing." Thomas sat on the edge of his desk. Seeing the loft area you entered, you realized you had been right. It was a study.

"Yes. I hoped to speak with you. About your proposal." You began. You saw Charlie staring intently and added, "Alone."

"I don't think that's wise." Charlie began urgently, but Thomas merely nodded a dismissal in her direction. She pursed her lips and stalked out back down the stairs.

"Alright. We are alone." He said, giving you the floor. You made to look like you were gazing at the books lining the shelf closest to you, but you were still looking through the stair railings down below. You heard more movement now.

"You mentioned that it wouldn't be romantic in any way."

"I did." Thomas nodded. You cast your eyes back up at him, a sultriness clouding them that Thomas recognized instantly.

"Well, I was thinking. I wouldn't mind if it was. Romantic."

"What's brought this on?" his eyes held suspicion, but the look he was giving you was that of a man interested as you walked slowly toward him.

"I've had time to think. You are a powerful man. I am a powerful woman. It makes sense."

"And Draco?"

"Draco is an outcast. A failure. He's given up. But you haven't. I find that extremely... attractive." With each word you took a step closer. Finally, you were pressed against him, feeling his breath on your neck as you whispered the last of your words. Your ears perked up in the momentary silence. You heard dishes clanking around downstairs. Lunch must be being prepared. Not long now. Thomas' strong hands slid up your arms, and you shivered. You feigned swooning at his touch, and his crooked smile graced his lips.

"That was a convincing performance, Kris. A career in the theater is a good option for you. Provided you survive long enough." He released you, and he whistled. Charlie barged into the room immediately to take you away.

"I won't." you said quietly. He gave you a questioningly look but you had already made your move. You dove at the stairs, flinging yourself over the banister before Charlie's frantic spell hit you. You fell through the air in slow motion, seeing the flights of stairs pass beside you. You grabbed frantically in your dress, pulling out the dagger and shutting your eyes tight, bracing yourself for impact.

Sound, which had momentarily muted on your descent, filled the air again as your body came to a screeching halt an inch above the floor. You peeked, first through one eye, then opening both, to see you were hovering, uninjured, above the floor. Then you fell onto the ground with a thud and looked hastily for the door. The door stood, unguarded, the man with the bowls nowhere in sight. You scrambled up and shot toward the door. A stream of green light zipped past your ear and landed on the wall beside you. You whipped your head around to see Charlie running down the stairs, yelling at guards and shooting spells your way. Suddenly, the door in front of you opened on its own and the man gasped at the sight of you standing before him. He dropped the bowls with a clatter and you saw him go for his wand. You had just raised the dagger, heart beating a mile a minute as you mentally prepared to stab a man in cold blood, when a stray spell hit him square in the eye. He fell forward, paralyzed. You reached down into his back pocket, taking his wand and slamming the door shut, locking it with a wave of the wand.

"Lumos!"

The light illuminated the darkness to reveal a long staircase leading to the unknown. You looked back, hearing the door behind you being bombarded with spells, and you knew that going forward was your only option. You held the light out as you walked carefully down the creaking stairs, praying that you hadn't made a mistake in coming down here and trapping yourself in this dungeon forever.