The Butterfly and the Bear

(While this is not a true story, it is a story that has been with me for some time, I hope those who read it enjoy.) 

Long, long ago when the world was still new and the peoples of the earth were still closely connected to their animal totems, there lived a Warrior named Bear.

Bear was tall and strong, proud and also very wise.  He was well thought of by the Elders of his tribe, indeed he was well thought of by all of his people.  He always looked out for others making sure that those in need of help got it.  He also made sure that those who had no one to hunt for them got enough food to keep them from going hungry.

The youth of the tribe would come running to him to hear tales of his adventures while exploring new lands or hunting in the woods.  Bear loved to spend time with the young ones, as he knew that they would one day be the hunters, the mothers, the healers and so on.  The young ones were the future of the tribe and he felt honored that he could share his knowledge with them.

The Elders had watched Bear for sometime and all agreed that he would one day become an Elder and take his place in the decision making.  There was however one thing that the Elders were concerned about.  As yet Bear had not taken a wife.  They knew Bear could have any woman he wanted as they all looked up to him and would gladly be his wife and bare his children.

Crow, one of the Elders once asked Bear why he hadn’t taken a wife and Bear told him that he had not yet met the woman that was meant for him.  Crow nodded at Bear when he said this and never spoke of his taking a wife again.  When others voiced their concerns about Bear being alone, Crow would simply say “Bear has his reasons” and people would leave the matter be.

When Bear went hunting he would sometimes travel far from his home, he would often meet people from other tribes and always paid respect to them, as he was after all traveling in their lands.  Bear didn’t realise that in doing this he had built a reputation for himself with many tribes as being a fine man, one that showed the proper respect to others.

When he had a successful hunt, Bear would present the local people with a portion of it.  He knew this would go to those who needed it and knowing this made him feel he’d not only been respectful, but had given back part of what he’d taken from their lands.

Bear soon became somewhat of a hero to many people and when he visited a tribe to present them with a portion of his hunt, he was asked to stay and there would be a feast in his honor.   He seemed a little surprised by all the fuss, but enjoyed the company and it also helped in maintaining bonds with other tribes.

There were times when he was offered someone’s daughter to take as his wife, but he would respectfully decline, saying that he was waiting for his bride to find him.

People looked upon Bear as more than just a man, he was a warrior yes, but he was also kind, generous, caring and he was an honorable man.  One that all who met smiled upon.

One day as Bear went off to hunt; he stopped and rested on the top of a small hill.  He looked over the valley below and smiled at what he saw, his village, the people, the horses and river where he had learnt to swim and fish as a child.  Memories of his childhood flooded back and his smile grew larger, he had had a happy childhood and wished some day to give the same kind of childhood to his own children.

As Bear looked over the valley, he suddenly realized that there were tears running down his face.  He reached up and wiped them away wanting to move off and begin his hunt, but he didn’t move.  He had felt something he had not known before.  He felt alone!  He also felt a deep emptiness inside that he had never known could exist.  These feelings had caught him off guard and he sat there on the hill a little stunned, not quite knowing what to do.