Jason's eyes remained locked on his phone and nothing was going to move them.

Curtis shook his head.

He saw the thing on the table. "What's this?" He reached out and picked it up.

"Hey!" Jason went to get it back.

Curtis wouldn't let him. He held it aloft so he could keep it away from Jason and look it over at the same time.

It was a ring.

A simple one. A simple band of white gold. A wedding band.

Curtis went on examining the thing, turning it over, this way and that. "So, she gave it back?"

Jason got to his feet. He moved in. "You hand it over right now or...!" He stretched his arm out.

Curtis didn't fight him. He let him have it. "Fine, fine!" Curtis straightened out his clothes. The two settled back down into their chairs.

Curtis scratched his head. "Do you ever tell them? Like I mean, what that thing is? Or how important it is to you?"

Jason was rubbing on the ring, cleaning it up. He placed it back in his pocket.

"I know if it were me, I would never give it out. Not to anyone. I wouldn't even take it out of the house..."

Jason was checking his pockets.

His phone. Where was his phone?

"...after all, my mother's wedding ring...!"

Jason looked up.

Curtis!

Jason stood up.

Curtis was standing and holding Jason's phone. He swiped the screen and it came to life.

Password.

Curtis met eyes with Jason. "What's your password?"

"Give it!" Jason stuck out his hand.

"Oh, I know!"

One-one-one-one. Nope.

"Curtis...!" Jason began edging over. "Give it back..."

Curtis took a step back.

Two-two-two-two. Nope.

"I mean it!" Jason swiped his arm out but missed.

Four-four...bingo!

"Aha!" Curtis kept backing away as Jason followed. Meanwhile, he was flipping through the pictures on the phone, one by one.

"Curtis!"

Curtis stopped. He frowned into the phone. "Who's this?"

Jason seized his chance and snatched his phone back from his friend. He made a face at him and headed back to the table. He plopped himself down into a chair.

Curtis slid in beside him. "No, really, who is that?"

Jason frowned. Though annoyed, he dipped his head down and had a quick glance of the picture in question, but he didn't know what Curtis meant, because all he could see was a smiling couple in the middle of the photo and it was obvious who the people were. He knew them. It was William and Olivia, the newlyweds, from the wedding they had both gone to last weekend.

Jason turned to Curtis. "What do you mean? It's William and..."

"No!" Curtis pointed. Into the picture but toward the back, in the background, by the corner. "Here! This one..."