Chapter 2

DEAR ANONYMOUS RIVER MONSTER

I was awaken by droplets of water being sprinkled onto my naked chest, my head hurting as if I had been beaten; only I hadn't been because the air smelled comforting; safe.

It was silenced- like if the trees were observing me, taking notes and whispering to each other, scared I'd hear them. My military coat hung to the grass resting beside me. There were no gun shots heard, no yelling... no...

No death.

I had never truly experienced silence ever in my life. I've always surrounded my body with loud, drunken slurs that were dragged long enough to remind you of sentences you couldn't understand.

There was a beautiful lake before my eyes, the water swaying her hips resulting in ripples. There, submerged, was an object my still blurry vision could not make out. Curiosity possessed me, bringing me to my knees and and forcing me to crawl towards the river.

Once I reached the water, I had remembered I had left a man behind. The knight in shinning armor, or my riffle, was no where to be seen. I look over to inspect the swimming object, but the water was lagoon green and the opposite adjective to describe the lake was 'clear'.

I did recognize to have seen hair, though, but it disappeared in an instant. I furrowed my eyebrows and submerged my fingers into the water, trying to feel around for my discovery.

Once the object moved upward, I flinched and dragged my body backwards with my legs as the thing leaped out of the water. I covered my eyes like a child, not having the smallest interest in this discovery any longer, as it was a potentially terrifying being.

In a moment where all that could be heard was my loud breathing, I felt tender fingertips carcass my hands, as if begging me to remove them from my eyes. I was to oblige, shaking and slowly.

I do recognize I am a coward, I know this well. My child like actions often force me to be scared. I did remark that I am not scared of men, but who's to say this creature is human, and not some type of river monster?

I opened my eyes to find a girl, straddling me almost too closely. I have never been this close to a woman, as I am usually not an attraction to any. My face burned and my ears turned an embarrassed red; the kind of red that encouraged stuttering.

She seemed to be fascinated by my eyes, as hers were mirroring mine by being widened, too. Our noses were nearly touching, which explains the distance between us was minimum, almost nonexistent.

"I-I, hello-" I stuttered, making her flinch as she had never heard a man talk before. Her eyes were dark, probably the darkest ones I've ever seen. She was tan, almost like a mulatto. Her hair was long enough to reach the very end of her spine and curling onto her face, like vines wrapping around a stem or twig.

After her surprise style of reaction, she quickly swept her body from on top of me and stood, making me turn pail and astonished of how her skin knew no clothes, a sight I've never seen before. I was left breathless and embarrassed at the clothe-less woman.

"O' god- I'm so sorry to interrupt yer bath- I- well you see, i'm terribly lost and I-" I blabbered like an idiot, standing up in front of this goddess, this- this angel. I swept dirt off my knees and turned around.

August lazily caressed her body as heat kissed it, leaving me to desire to long admire her in summer like detail. To prevent my adolescent eyes from disrespecting her chosen nudity, I looked away from the exposed flesh that still stood silent.

This intrigued and awakened the lust in the pit of my stomach but I ignored it, knowing my education of feminine respect was bigger than my manly impulse to pleasure my physical ego.

When no clothes were seen around me, I glanced back at my military coat. My mind twiddled and fidgeted with thoughts between its tiny hands, awkwardness filling every vein in my organism.

"Here- here" I repeated, bending over, trying not to spill my nervousness through my mouth. Pink-knuckled hands reached to gift her the top part of my uniform.

She grabbed it, nodding. She was never to look away from me, as if she was analyzing or inventing my life story from just looking at my tired and now crumbling face. Not that I wanted her to look away, anyway.

She wrapped her small coffee-skinned body around the green stained cloth, the coat sleepily swaying back and forth and stretching past her knees. 

Her arms were hugging her chest as if she truly feared she would purge out her ribcage. Her lips curled, but not in the inviting way. Not the kind of smile that triggers yours. Just her lips. Curling into dimples.

I scratched my head and then ran my hands through my hair, hurriedly, frustrated, thirsty. Pure Irish sweat hung from it also, racing through my chin.

My heart ached, the kind of ache you write poems about. "My name," I whispered. My voice almost trembled, it fell flat from my mouth and hit the ground with a thud. 

"Is Niall." My timid cheeks imitated the color of embarrassment. I stood there- before blinking eyes, curving lips, tan skin, and silence; Yet It was all all comforting, even the silence.

Her ability to not make noise made the sound that was mystery. maybe she was embarrassed also, hiding it behind that intriguing smirk of hers. But no, I knew that wasn't the case. I knew I was not supposed to find her. Precisely, I knew I was not supposed to find her in such exposed and intimate state.

But most importantly, I knew she stole my gun.

She turned around, eating time by moving past the trees, loneliness making its way like a gas through my oxygen, intoxicating the air. "Wait!" The desperate cry of my lungs to catch up to the nature like woman also drove me to run after her.

Her legs went against the wind, running away from my hands. I too replicated her actions by running after her glory and beauty. She was capable of escaping my sight; And oh my, she sure did.

I purposely pulled on gravity till it successfully held me down to my knees. The woman- the lady river. My mind was water clogged, confused. She left seeds in my head to grow into questions.

I was left in the wild. I felt silence, different silence. I also felt shirtless.