Chapter one

I run faster, looking for a way to lose the man chasing me. I hold on to the necklace I took from him tight, turning my knuckles pale. I turn into an alley and jump on the wall, I stuck like a fly on fly paper. I hear him gasp as I climb just out of his reach. He jumped but slid off the wall. I sit criss cross on the wall.
          "Pesky humans," I mutter. The man looked more like a boy. He is pretty tall, about 6'5", his eyes are bright emerald green, his hair is black and his skin is very tan.
"Ha, Mere. I am not human."
          "Well then what are you?"
"That is not the point, you stole from
me, come down, girl."
          "No way! You were chasing me I am not stupid, if I come down you will chase me again."
          "You stole from me!"
"I need it more than your rich butt does."
          "I will curse you," I look at my nails pretending to be bored. 'So he is like me.' I think to myself.
          "Oh no! I am going to be turned into a frog," I laugh at my sarcasm and he growls.
          "I can kill you very slowly, forever slowly," I stood and began walking up the wall. "Or-"
          "Good bye frog boy," he laughed and I keep walking. I am half way to the top when he says;
          "I will take your power," I gasp and freeze.
          "Please no," I say turning downward to face him. I just got my gift down after 5 years. "I will do anything."
          "Anything?" He looked at the ground and thought. "You will..." he doesn't look up as he says it.
          "Watch out!" I warn, but it is too late, an arrow flys into the boys side and he cries out in pain. I jump from the wall and a thread appears to my side. I don't touch it.
          If I touch the golden thread now he will die. "No, no. D-don't move," I say as he tries to pull it out. I look up to see where the thing went.
          The thing that shot him was a shadow they can't be seen unless they want to be seen. It's no longer there meaning I scared the thing away. I look back down, blood is starting to form a small pool around us staining my bare feet a deep red.
          "Come on we got to get you to my home."
          "How will that help?" He hisses. He pulls himself into the fatal position. I grab his arm.
"It will. Can you walk?" He looks at me in anger then fear and ending in pain. He moved to get up, his breathing started to speed up and take gasping froms. "You won't die, I promise you, not y-yet." My voice raises an octave as I say the last part. I look for a way to get him to walk.                     "Walls," he says and hisses in pain as the arrow moves.
          "Thank you, Mr. Obvious," I say and instantly regret it. I jump on the wall and reach down and grab him. I then begin to walk. It is slow going and painful, he is really heavy.           Eventually I get him to the top and I sigh happily to see the thread I abandoned has disappeared, but I know it will come back soon.
          I get him to my little house I made out of tarps on the roof and I guide him to my bed, he almost falls twice causing me to put his arm around me and half walk half carry him to the bed. It isn't a soft bed just a sheet over milk crates.
          I lay him on his side and I grab a few spare sheets and hand towels my friend Holly gave me. "Have you been messing with death lately?" I ask and kneel beside the bed. He is really pale now and his breathing is even heavier.
          He shook his head, but stopped as pain twisted on his face. "Don't do that stupid, do you want to die?" I say and resist the urge to smack him.           "That was a Grim, like Grim reapers, you don't screw with Death, idiot."
I continue to talk to him to distract him and to keep myself calm. Then I take out the arrow and cover his mouth.
Even when he goes unconscious I continue talking to him. His thread appears twice more as he sleeps. I put him all the way one the bed after wrapping three sheets around him and I walk to the other side of my house.
          I try to sleep, but thoughts drowned me in wakeness. His thread came to me, by ancient rules I am going to be in a lot of trouble. We are not all lower to have any contact with our threads, or at least that's what me and the committee read in old books we found.
          I am going to lose my power, thread cutters are very powerful, but how am I supposed to avoid my threads if I don't ever really see them? I wonder.
          I try placing a name, I have twenty subjects that I got when I turned ten. It just happened on my tenth birthday. I only have twenty because I am a trainee, but I will get twenty more on my eighteenth birthday. Once again that's what the books say at least. I have twelve girls and eight boys, but I fall asleep before I can decide who he is.

          When I wake up the sun dips low on the horizon. The boy is sitting up starting out one of many holes in my tent at the sun set, his back is to me. I watch him.
          "Take a picture, it will last longer," he says not even turning around.
          "No thanks. I don't want to be blinded by your hidiousness any longer."
          "Is that even a word?"
"Is now," thunder rumbles above us.           "It's is going to rain"
"Way to state the obvious."
          "You can leave tomorrow," I say, I am tired of him being mean.
          "Can I leave now?" He turns to face me.
          "No," I say bluntly.
"Oh and I want my mom's locket back."
          "Oh that. I sold it on eBay," I stand.
          "What? Get it back girl," he snarls. I laugh and he looks confused.
          "Wow you are mean. I just saved you life, remember?" I tease laughing again.
          "Get it back."
"You are up tight," I pull it out of my pocket. "Here have it, buzz kill."
          "You have a screw loose."
"Happens," I shrug. I sit on the bed next to him and pretty soon we were laughing and the wound was long forgotten. Eventually he noticed my shift in mood got a bit sadder
          "Hey, what's wrong?" He asked.
"You remind me of my older brother," I admit in a whisper.
          "Where is he?"
"Dead. So is my mom and dad. And my three younger sisters."
          "Oh. I am sorry."
"Don't be. It was my fault," I don't like it when people pity others for something that was inevitable.
          "How, if you don't mind me asking, is it your fault?" I took a shaky breath trying not to cry.
          "We were at home, our real home, and they told me to cook dinner. So I did. But I left the burner on, on the burner was a box. It began to burn, and I - I tried to put it out. I couldn't tell my parents or siblings. It didn't work so I ran out of the house screaming fire, but they never followed. I ran back in and they were trapped in the kitchen.
           "I ran to my sisters room. She was only 1 and still in her crib. I grabbed her and ran. I didn't call anyone. I just ran and they died." He put his hand on my shoulder.
          "It's okay. It's not your fault." I turned around and looked at him.
          "It is. I could have called the fire department."
          "Wait did you say you saved someone?"
          "Yeah."
"Where are they?"
          "I don't know. My sister was taken from me."
          "What is her name?"
"Alice."
           "Oh." He sat down next to me.
"Does it hurt?"
           "What?" He looked at me.
"Your wound."
           "Oh. No. It doesn't."
"Oh "
          "Tell me more about your sister."
"What is your name?"
           "Don't change the subject. What happened to your sister?"
          "I told you I don't know!" I screamed.
          "Chill."
"Sorry. I don't know what happened to her. She was taken from me. By this person, I don't know who he is, he said he has a home for her in a new place far away. Thats it."
          "Do you remember what the man looked like?"
          "Tall, gray hair, blue eyes, um... That's it really. I don't have that good of a memory."
          "Well that's unfortunate. I could have seen if I knew this guy . I could have helped you find your sister . As... as payment... For um... Um helping me." I didn't know what to say so I stayed quiet. We lapsed into a akward silence. I watched and listened to the city settling down for sleep. The sun is gone now a full, bright moon takes it's place.
          We sat like that for a while, before he asked me why.
          "Why what?"
"Why did you... Um save me?"
          "I - well - it was the right thing to do," he didn't speak again and soon he feel back asleep. I watched him, his future is in my hands. I go and take my place on the floor and fall asleep.