"Pawn to D7," said Alice.

"Bishop to D6," said Mendoza.

"Rook to H10," said Lord Blackstar, moving into the space opened by Mendoza's last move.

"Hurry, Alice," said Ellen, under her breath.

"Don't worry," said Alice. "Rook to A5."

"Most generous of you, Princess Alice," said Lord Blackstar. "Pawn to A4. Pawn captures Rook."

"Don't celebrate yet, Pleiadean," said Mendoza. "Knight to C6. Check!"

Lord Blackstar blinked and then cursed under his breath.

"Bishop to G6," said Alice.

"Pawn to F9!" said Mendoza. "Double check."

"Oh, please. Queen to E10," said Lord Blackstar. "Check on that."

"That's the biggest problem with Three Player Chess, Lord Blackstar," said Chata. "You can never do anything to one opponent without giving some sort of advantage to the other one."

"Actually, it isn't. But I suppose it's close," said Alice.

Lord Blackstar and Mendoza were frowning as they considered their next moves. They both looked across at her. Chata raised one eyebrow.

"Excuse me?" said Chata.

"That's not the biggest problem with Three Player Chess," said Alice. "It certainly is a big one, but it's not the biggest."

"And how would you know, Princess? You're losing pieces left, right and centre," said Mendoza.

"Yes, I know," said Alice. "But the biggest problem with three player games is that two of the players can team up against the third one. If that happens, it's almost impossible for that one to win."

"What has that got to do with anything?" said Lord Blackstar.

"If you're proposing an alliance between us, forget it," said Mendoza. "The notebook is ours. And I am more than capable of beating him."

"Really?" said Darla.

"No, don't worry. We don't need to team up," said Alice. "We already have."

There was a pause.

"What?" said Lord Blackstar.

"Well, there was no chance of any of us actually agreeing to work together," said Alice, "so I just did it without telling you. I've been making moves, Captain, which let Lord Blackstar capture my pieces, but also gave you openings to capture his. I also made moves that let you capture my pieces, but gave Lord Blackstar openings to capture yours as well. I just needed to keep doing it until you both gave me the opening to make a move like this. Queen to H7."

The white queen slid out into the middle of the board. Lord Blackstar and Mendoza both froze as they saw where it was going to arrive.

"Checkmate," said Alice. "To both of you."

Lord Blackstar went pale. He started at the board in silence, his eyes racing all over it. Alex suddenly felt like he was looking in a mirror. He remembered himself, four days ago, looking at a chessboard the same way, trying desperately to find a way out of Lord Blackstar's own check in King Stephen's Last Game. His heart rose as Lord Blackstar's eyes kept moving as he kept searching and slowly realised he was not going to find one.

"I don't believe it," said Chata. "Stephen's grandchildren indeed."

"No!" yelled Mendoza. Lord Blackstar opened his mouth, but the matter transmitter flashed. The laser moved up over Lord Blackstar, Darla, Will and all the Sirians, who were all shouting as they were transported away. The laser moved again, over all the chess pieces. They disappeared and the board was cleared. A small door, which Alex had not noticed before now, opened at the far end of the room.