I nodded. The pain seeping into my body was excruciating. I wasn't going to go to school. I was going to stay with Gwen as long as I could. That's the least I can do for her.

...

We were all in the room, just waiting. Gwen hadn't woken up and it's been about three hours until we got the news.

"Kyle, I think you should eat something," my mom told me.

"No."

"You haven't had anything since before your game."

"I'm fine."

"I'm pretty sure Gwen's parents would like to be with just her, Kyle," my father added.

I waited and then sighed. Slowly, my parents, Kory and I left the room.

"She'll be okay, Ky," Kory told me, patting my back lightly.

I took a deep breath. "I don't think she will, Kory."

He didn't reply. We left the hospital and got into the car. We drove to Wendy's in silence. I prayed that nothing bad would happen while I'm gone, but unfortunately, I've had a habit of being disappointed lately. I couldn't deal with the thoughts in my head.

When we all ate, Mom took me back home to take a shower and change. Afterwards, Mom and Dad stayed because they were really tired. After all, it was midnight. Kory drove us back to the hospital. It was quiet at Gwen's floor. I didn't like the smell of this place. I didn't like the looks of it. All of it showed me death. All of it would remind me of death.

Denise and George were nearly asleep when we entered the hospital room. Gwen was still unconscious as well. I heard the heart monitor beep and beep and beep. She looked exactly the same as she did the last time I saw her. Dead but alive.

I slowly and quietly took a seat from the table and set it next to Gwen. Kory sat on the small sofa next to the window, silent.

I took hold of Gwen's hand, hoping she'd wake up. I gently squeezed it, feeling the gesture return from her. I smiled, tears springing to my eyes. I don't think I've ever cried so much in my life.

She had the oxygen tubes under her nose; her hand was connected to so many, it was impossible to really understand how they were all in her arm.

All I knew was that I didn't want this for her. I didn't want to see her like this.

I always thought that Gwen would get better. I always had a feeling that something would change and she'd be lucky. I just felt that. I had a feeling that she would be happy and live a normal life, but maybe I was all wrong. Maybe I was too in love with her to see the truth. Maybe I was just in denial. The thing is though; I can't be in denial anymore.

...

Gwen was playing with my hair, untangling the knots here and there. When I opened my eyes, I saw her with her head to the side, smiling. It took me a few seconds to register she was awake.

"Gwen?!" I gasped. I got up and grasped her face, kissing her urgently.

"Kyle," she giggled.

I pulled away. "W-what are you giggling about?"

She shrugged. "I feel better today."

And for the first time, she actually wasn't lying. I stared at her. "What?"

"I just... I feel good."

Suddenly, the door opened and in came everyone. Denise, George, Kory, my parents... They all gasped as they saw Gwen awake.