babysitting; j.d

jakob and I had been together for roughly a year now. we have had our ups and definitely our downs but throughout it all, we had each other. tonight we had been asked by mrs tonkin, the next door neighbour, to mind her two children whilst her and her husband enjoyed a night out. they deserved it; all the hard work they had put forward to the community really shaped a nice neighbourhood.

"ooh chocolate please." kaity, the youngest of the two girls, asked. I smiled and handed her her share of the neapolitan ice cream which I had found stashed in the freezer. she smiled widely and ran off happily.

"and which flavour would you like jorgia?" I questioned the other child. she went into deep thought as she decided on which flavour to choose.

"vanilla!" she fist pumped the air. I chuckled and hand her a small bowl consisting of vanilla ice cream. kids. she too ran off and joined kaity in eating their late night treat. well, I don't know if you could class 8:27pm as being late but for children that were only five years of age, assuming that this would count as being a late night would probably be the correct answer. a light chuckle could be heard from behind me. turning around, I found a smiling jakob looking towards the ground, his fingers acting as a support system to hold his head up.

"what?" I question as his head moved to meet my eyes.

"oh nothing. It's just you are so good with children and I admire that." he edged closer towards me. a few more steps and the gap would be closed completely, and I allowed for that to happen. his lips moved softly against mine and it seemed like everything else had dissappeared completely. that was until the sound of a door creaking open brought me crashing back to the harsh reality that was life.

"oh your back." I chirped happily, referring to the arrival of mr and mrs tonkin.

"yes. thank you so much for looking after these two monkeys." mr tonkin replied, kaity and jorgia clinging onto his legs with bright smiles.

"oh it was our pleasure." jakob responded. mrs tonkin then stepped forward and placed something into my hand.

"we can't take this. besides, it was only a few hours." I tried handing the money back to her but she refused to do so. sighing, I waved farewell to the family and resorted to the living room.

"well.." I trail off, not knowing what to say or do next.

"how about we put that money to good use and get some take away aye?" jakob suggested turning to face me. I contemplated his offer for a few seconds before shouting, "maccas run!"

he just laughed at me and poked my cheek as I gathered my phone and purse before heading out the door and down the street. I entwined my fingers with jakobs and swing my arms back and forth for a while, making conversation from the weirdest of subjects. before long we are standing outside the McDonalds building. without hesitation I drag jakob into McDonalds and we are soon standing in line, waiting for the people before us to be served.

"hi, how may I take your order?" a woman asks from behind the counter. I look up to face her and my good mood instantly dissipates. tears begin forming in my eyes as I fight to hold them back. I can't do this, not with her around. stepping back I almost knock jakob over, however I don't even know it. I keep walking until I fall into a seat. my breaths are deep and uneven, everything around me getting fuzzier by the second. a warm pair of arms wrapped around me which brought me out of my daze. I was met with the blurry image of jakob. he holds me close as he soothes me, knowing that I need a bit of time. a few minutes pass and jakob decides to speak up.

"whats the matter, y/n?" he asks softly. I hesitate to answer as he doesn't know anything about my past. anything about her.

"that woman. she-" I swallow the large lump in my throat before continuing.

"she is my mother. she used to abuse me growing up a-and it got to the point where she attemped to kill me. she held a knife to my throat, jakob. she never treated me like a real daughter and she didn't treat dad right either. that's why we left. we left her so we could escape her. I thought I would never see her again, b-but seeing her then brought all the memories back. I'm sorry." I confess, tears staining my light cheeks.

"I'm really sorry. you should never have gone through that and I am so proud of you for overcoming everything. now, why don't we do something to get your mind off of things." jakob smiled sympathetically. I nod my head and I seemed to have calmed down. eyeing the establishment, a certain something catches my eye, a smile making its way onto my lips.

"race ya." I say as I run off towards the brightly painted playground. I waste no time in reaching the playground before jakob does and before he has a chance to arrive, I close the metal fence behind me. safety first, right? I surge for the helicopter up above and hide away, waiting for the sound of jakob banging against the fence in attempts to get in.

"hi." a voice breathed into my ear.

"ah!" I scream as I turn to see jakob sitting behind me. how did he get there?

"I have my ways you see." he replied. what?

"you're thinking out loud you dummy." oh. realising that he had already made it onto the playground, I dash out of the helicopter area and make a run for the bottom of the playground. jakob was no where to be seen. then, I feel a pair of masculine arms wrap themselves around my waist and pull me close. I try with all my might to escape but his grip is too tight. sighing in frustration I turn to face a smirking jakob looking straight into my eyes. I stare intently into them, worried that I might get lost in them. they just make me crumble. I can't help it any longer. I lean in and place my lips onto his. they move in sync. I close my eyes, savouring the moment. as quickly as I placed them on I pull away from the kiss and jakob seems sad. a smirk plays upon my lips as I question;

"ready for round two?" before I allow him to reply, I run off and leave a confused jakob behind.

word count: 1141