Thank you for seeing the good.

She bit her bottom lip hard and closed the box, placing in the bottom drawer of her vanity before taking herself and the dress to the bathroom.

Hours later, her mom walked into her room. "You look beautiful, Rowan," she said.

Carol looked at her daughter concerned when she didn't say anything back. Not a snide comeback, not even a glance. Rowan only grabbed her things, and walked out.

The gymnasium was decorated like the actual Roaring 20s. Maybe because the person in charge actually lived through them, Rowan thought dryly as she walked through the doors. All she wanted was to go back to her room and do nothing, but she also wanted to be normal. And normal!Rowan went to dances. No matter how soul sucking she felt.

Taking a breath, she stood a little straighter and walked further into the room. The music was loud, much louder to her than to anyone else, and she could hear everyone's conversation, their heartbeats racing from being with the person they cared for. That was probably the worst part. She almost hoped the punch was spiked.

"I thought you weren't coming," Matt said, coming up beside her.

Rowan cleared her throat, though her voice still came out raspy. "I didn't think I was."

She moved over so he could pour the fresh punch into the bowl. Matt looked at her when she perked up and his eyes followed as she was swallowed by the crowd.

She could smell his scent before she actually saw him, and when Tyler's back came into view, she turned him around glaring. "What are you doing here? You realize Rebekah put all of this together and more than likely, she's making him show up. So, I repeat, what the hell are you doing here?"

"Watching out for you," Tyler told her simply. Rowan scoffed. "I'm serious. I saw the drawing on your bed this morning. I'm not letting that dick mack all over my little sister."

Rowan's face shifted into a passive expression. "I have not been your little sister for a while now, Tyler," she snapped harshly. "And I don't need you to look out for me."

She scoffed at him one last time before leaving him for Caroline to find.

She wanted to feel normal, so she found a partner. And she danced.

She danced until her partner's hand fell from her hips almost robotically before he walked away. Rowan stood in confusion. She jumped when a hand fell gently on her shoulder.

"Do you have another dance in you?" Klaus wondered, removing his hand from her shoulder and holding it out for her to take.

"Actually, I'm pretty beat, so ‒" Her words caught in her throat when he twirled her and pulled her back to him fluently. Her hand that he wasn't holding reflectively went to his shoulder. "Why can't you just leave me alone?"

"Well, I am leaving town tomorrow, so maybe you'll get your wish." His lips twitched when her hand tightened on his shoulder, but loosened up in a hurry. "Unless you'd like to come with me. Let me show you the world."

"You want me to leave? With you?" Rowan asked. "With everything that's going on right now, no way."

"I thought you'd say that," Klaus smirked. Rowan could help but notice how close he'd come. Again, he was right there. "Maybe one day. You deserve to see the world, Rowan," he lowered his voice, looking into her dark eyes. It was quick, the flicker of her eyes going from his eyes to his lips, and he instinctively licked them. "Even if you're not ready yet, one day. Sooner or later, you will be, and when you are, I'll be there by your side."

She was barely breathing as he spoke. Closer and closer he came until her was there. Every time he spoke, his lips would ghost over her own.

He was right there. Only this time, he was the one to walk away. And Rowan stood still as she watched him.

Rowan thought he'd left, but soon enough she saw Klaus walk back through the door alongside Stefan and Damon, and so she followed.

"What's happening?" she asked once caught up. Damon and Stefan looked at her with surprise but with help from the stern expression she shot them, it was quickly gone.

"Esther's back, and she has Elena."

Rowan nodded along with Stefan's explanation and she followed them into a classroom where she found Bonnie chanting, her date Jamie staring, and Jeremy looking at Bonnie with heart eyes.

Minutes passed as Bonnie continued her work in near silence, her as the exception, until Klaus spoke, "What's taking so long? All boundary spells have a loophole."

Bonnie glared at him as an answer. The door burst open and Matt walked in panting. "People are walking right out of the dance, past the barrier," he said.

"If Matt and I can leave, we can stop Esther ourselves, alright? We got to find out where she is," Jeremy offered. Rowan raised an eyebrow.

"Suicide, Jeremy," Stefan chided.

In a surprising (not so) twist, Rowan watched as Klaus sped over, clamping his hand over Jamie's neck. He lifted Jamie to where his feet couldn't touch the ground. "Suicide would be disappointing me," Klaus snarled.

"As murder would be to me," Rowan muttered her breath.

"Work your magic, witch, or I'll start killing people you fancy," Klaus threatened.

"Let him go!" Bonnie raised her voice, face creasing in worry.

"Not until you get us out of her."

"Don't be stupid, Klaus," Stefan said, stepping forward. "Bonnie doesn't give a damn about us. The only reason she's helping right now is to save Caroline and Tyler. You start killing people she cares about, she'll tell us all to go to hell."

Klaus mulled over his words as tears welled in Jamie's eyes. The human gasped when the hybrid released him.

Soon after Jeremy's donation and Klaus' help, Matt and the younger Gilbert were set on their way whilst Rowan was still stuck in sitting on the bleachers, her face in her hands.

"Klaus could get killed," Tyler announced. "And I die along with him."

"No one's going to die, okay?" His declaration didn't comfort either Lockwoods. "Bonnie's still looking for a way around the boundary spell. It's not too late." Stefan walked out. Rowan looked at the couple a few feet from her and followed his lead.

"You know," she said once she was walking next to Stefan. "If Tyler dies because Klaus dies, that would be the second family member I've lost because of the town ‒ because of this group. And if that happens, Stefan," she brought him to halt, "mark my words, if my brother dies because of the vengeance all of you have for Klaus, just because he'll be dead, don't think there won't be a target on your back. If he dies, you'll be soon after."

She spoke low and even, eyes hard. And she made sure to stare a little longer, just enough for him to know how serious she was before she walked away.

not edited.