We were nearly finished with two walls of three layers of paint when Gwen's parents walked into the room.

"Gwendalynn Summer Conrad!" Denise shouted. "Where in the hell are your trousers?!"

Gwen stared at her mother, slowly lifting the large shirt to expose her shorts. Denise let out a sigh of relief.

"Don't scare me like that."

Gwen giggled, shaking her head and turning back to the wall.

"How's everything coming along?" Denise asked, taking out the pony tail she wore and grasping a chunk of the t-shirt Gwen was wearing and tied the back so that it definitely showed her shorts.

"Looks like you've only finished two walls." George pointed out, blatantly stating the obvious.

"Yeah," I nodded, looking at them. "I think we'll finish the other two tomorrow."

"Good idea. We have dinner. Would you like to stay over, Kyle?"

I shook my head. "I'm supposed to be home with my family at..."

I took out my phone to see the time. My eyes widened.

"Oh! Now, actually." I hurried and put the brushes on the floor and took a step towards Gwen, wrapping an arm around her waist and pulling her towards me, bringing her in for a quick kiss. "I'll see you later."

She grinned, nodding.

"Are you sure, Kyle?" George questioned, raising an eye brow. "We have plenty of food."

"No, I'm sure. My parents think I'm over here too much anyway." I admitted, stopping in front of them as I waited for them to let me leave.

"Well, know that you're welcome any time," Denise smiled.

"Sure do."

George stepped back, giving me space to leave. I gave them a last goodbye before heading home.

...

"So, how's Gwen's room?" Mom asked, taking a sip of her water.

"Good," I answered, taking a bite of the steak Mom made.

"Did you see Denise and George?"

"Yeah."

"How are they?"

I shrugged. "They're good. Workin'. Which, um, is that why Dad isn't home yet?"

Mom nodded. "Yeah, there was apparently a fire just an hour ago."

I nodded. It wasn't frequent where only my mother and I were having dinner together. Mostly, it was a family dinner, when my father was here with us since they've gotten plenty more firemen at the station a couple years ago. I was a little thankful though. Mom was less confident when my dad wasn't around, so that means she won't interrogate me in anything that isn't her business.

After dinner, I headed to my room and logged into Facebook, realizing I hadn't talked to Kory in a while. I texted him, telling him he should get on Skype. He answered, saying he's got a big exam tomorrow and needs as much sleep as he can.

So my night consisted of sitting on Facebook watching girls make drama, until someone chatted me.

Ali Trescott: Hey

I smiled. I hadn't talked to Alice since school ended. She came to watch my games, but I think she was too shy to ever say hi. Then again, Gwen was always at my games as well. It'd be a bit awkward. I think she assumed I didn't notice her there, but I saw her. Every game, she sat in the same exact spot in the highest bleacher next to who my friends call 'the nerds.'