Chapter 1

A/N
This is my first time writing fanfiction so it might suck, hopefully it doesn't but who knows. I don't know if these chapters will be too long/short so let me know if you want them to be longer or shorter and I'll try my best to fix it! I'm also not sure if I'll have a consistent schedule with uploading chapters since I tend to procrastinate a l o t, it took me almost a week to write this first chapter because of it. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy the story. xx

*Kevin's p.o.v*

Today is my 7th birthday!

I'm not having a party but I'm not upset because my mommy said that her and daddy are gonna take me to the aquarium since it's my favorite place.

I went to my closet after my mommy came in my room to tell me we're leaving soon and to try to figure out what I wanted to wear. I looked through all my clothes for a little while before I eventually decided on a cute pastel pink dress with white tights.

I'm not transgender, my mommy asked me if I was and showed me the definition of transgender when I told her I wanted to wear dresses and skirts but I'm not, I still go by male pronouns and I'm still a boy but I guess I just like wearing girly clothes. My mommy and daddy told me they accept me and love me either way though so I'm happy!

Once I was dressed and got my shoes on, we left to go to the aquarium.

It started raining pretty hard while we were in the car and it got really dark outside but my mommy said we would be okay.

I don't remember much of what happened after she told me that. All I know is that I woke up in a strange room with my daddy next to me crying. He didn't tell me what was wrong but when I asked him where mommy was he started crying more. A doctor came in the room a few minutes later and told me that we had gotten into a car accident because of the rain and my mommy didn't make it.

After that day my daddy wasn't the same as he usually was. He was very distant and didn't really come out of his room unless he had to cook me food or go to work. As I got older he only came out of his room to go to work or get more alcohol and eventually stopped going to work totally.

Now I'm 16 years old and I rarely see my dad anymore. I had to get a few jobs to be able to keep up with the house and buy food since my dad never got another job after he lost his first one. He just sits in his room and drinks all day.

I still wear dresses and I get judging stares from people at school and whenever I go out somewhere but I never get made fun of for it luckily.

It's been hard since my mom died and I still get upset when someone mentions her or I think about her but I, sadly, can't go back in time and try to save her.

Also, speaking of school, I start my senior year tomorrow! I'm so glad that this is my last year of school to deal with before I go to college and get far away from my dad. I'm not sure what I wanna do yet, I'm more focused on getting the hell out of my school for now.

I don't have any friends since nobody wants to be friends with the "freak" that wears dresses even though he's a guy. I've never had anyone say that to me but I know they're probably all thinking it.

I sighed and walked into my first period class, Calculus. I hate math but I'm pretty good at it so I'm not gonna complain.

I took my seat as the bell rang. The teacher, Mr. Urie, walked in, saying hello to the class and then started going over the rules and all that crap they tell us every year that nobody ever listens to.

I wasn't really pay attention until I saw someone I didn't recognize walk into the room out of the corner of my eye. This school is relatively small so everyone pretty much knows each other but I've never seen this kid before so he must be new.

Mr. Urie stopped talking when he noticed the kid and turned towards him, smiling, "Ah you must be Nick, I was told we were getting a new student today."

The kid, Nick I guess his name is, nodded and looked around the classroom. He looked nervous but it's his first day in a new school so I don't blame him.

When Mr. Urie realized Nick wasn't gonna say anything he turned back to the class and told Nick to sit in the empty seat next to mine.

I sighed and hoped that Nick would just ignore me but of course, that didn't happen. As soon as he sat down he turned to me and said hi.

I reluctantly turned to him so I wasn't being rude, "Hello.. Nick, right? I'm Kevin."

He smiled and then turned back to the front of the classroom. Great, he probably thinks I'm a freak just like everyone else in this god damn school does.

After what seemed like forever, the bell ending first period finally rang. I got up out of my seat and rushed out of the classroom so I could get to second period without having to deal with the stares of that many people on the way there.

I had just walked out of the classroom when I was stopped by someone tapping me on the shoulder, "What?" I snapped at the person as I turned around to face whoever it was.

I saw Nick standing there when I did, "Oh hey, sorry. What do you need?"

"Um.. I was wondering if you could help me find my classes since I'm new here."

I looked at him curiously, wondering why he wanted my help out of everyone he could have asked to help him.

"Why do you want my help? Don't you think I'm a freak like everyone else does?"

"No, why would I think you're a freak? I just met you but you seem pretty cool so I figured you'd help me, I can always ask someone else if you don't want to though."

He started walking away but I called out his name, "No I'm sorry I'll help you. I just assumed you'd think I was a freak because I dress like a girl."

Nick frowns and shakes his head, "I wouldn't make fun of you for that, if that's how you wanna dress who am I to judge you for it?"

I smile, "Then yes I'd love to show you around, and uh.. If you'd like since you're new here and everything, I'd be honored to be your first friend here."

"Yeah I'd like that Kevin," He smiles. "Let's go before we end up being late."

I nod and I walk him to his class.

When I got home later that day I was surprised to see my dad out of his room, he still seemed like he was drunk though. My thoughts were confirmed when he started talking to me, his speech slurred.

"Oh hey Kevin you're back, how was your first day at school?" He says, turning to look in my direction.

"Fine," i said shortly, not really in the mood to talk to the man who's left me basically abandoned for almost half my life.

He got up suddenly and walked over to me, almost falling a few times due to him being drunk, "I'm your father don't talk to me like that."

"You're not my father and you haven't been since mom died, don't act like you are now." I said, getting angry now.

He surprised me and hit me across the face pretty hard, "Go to your room and never talk to me like that ever again do you understand me?"

I nod quickly and run upstairs, letting out the tears that had been threatening to fall since he hit me once I get close the door to my room.

Too upset to even think about doing anything else, I lay down in my bed and after what seemed like forever, cried myself to sleep for the first time since the day my mom died.