Davy Jones' Locker

Start from the beginning

Serenity moved away, towards Will, who was leaning over a large map with circles that turned and changed it. It was very confusing, and Serenity knew she would never figure out how to read it.

“Nothing here is set,” said Will, sounding frustrated. Apparently he, too, was having trouble reading the charts. “These can’t be as accurate as modern charts.”

“No, but it leads to more places,” said Tai Huang.

Over the edge, over again. Sunrise sets, flash of green,” Will read from the charts. “Do you care to interpret, Captain Barbossa?”

“Ever gazed upon the green flash, Master Gibbs?” Barbossa called.

“I reckon I seen my fair share,” Gibbs replied. “It happens on rare occasion. At the last glimpse of sunset, a green flash of light shoots up into the sky. Some go their whole lives without seeing it, some claim to have seen it that ain’t. Some say--”

“It signals when a soul comes back to this world, from the dead!” Pintel interrupted.

Gibbs glared at him.

“Sorry,” said Pintel.

“Trust me, young Master Turner,” said Barbossa, “it’s not getting to the land of the dead that’s the problem. It’s gettin’ back.”

Serenity didn’t like the sound of that.

As they sailed through two huge walls of snow and ice, darkness and silence fell over the ship like a thick blanket.

~

That night, the stars were so bright, and the sky was so black, that the star’s reflections in the water made it look as though the Hai Peng was sailing in the night sky.

As Serenity lay on the deck, gazing at the stars, she became aware of the sound of white noise. It was soft yet, but swiftly getting louder by the second. It sounded like water rushing off a cliff.

She moved to the front of the ship and, sure enough, there was a huge waterfall. And they were headed straight for it! There was no way they would survive if they went over.

Barbossa was steering the ship.

“Barbossa!” Serenity called to him. “Ahead!”

“Aye, we’re good and lost now,” said Barbossa, sounding perfectly calm despite the situation.

“Lost?!” cried Elizabeth. 

“For certain you have to be lost to find the places can’t be found,” said Barbossa. “Elseways, everyone would know where it was.”

Serenity couldn’t deny the logic behind his words, but that did nothing to comfort her.

“We’re gaining speed!” called Gibbs.

“Aye,” said Barbossa.

“To stations!” called Will. “All hands to stations! Hold to port, gather way!”

“Nay! Belay that! Let her run straight and true!” Barbossa cried with a maniacal gleam in his eye.

“You’re mad!” Serenity screamed.

“You’ve doomed us all!” Elizabeth cried.

“Don’t be so unkind,” said Barbossa. “You may not survive to pass this way again, and these be the last friendly words you’ll hear.”

“Tie her off!” Will cried desperately.

Tia Dalma was whispering something to the crab’s claws that she shook gently in her hands. She was trying to find out if they truly would land in Davy Jones’ locker. The claws replied with an affirmative answer.