Chapter 1: Back to School

Chapter One: Back to School

"Do you remember what happened?" The police woman asked.

I could remember it all, every second. I remembered holding him in my arms as his blood dripped onto my body. It drizzled down my tattered jeans and collected in a pile on the cool ground. I remembered the breeze that seemed to whisper 'I love you' as it blew by. I remembered cupping his cheek for the last time as a smooth tear rolled down my face onto his still lifeless body.

"I wasn't there for it. I just found his body." I say as my voice choked up. "He was in his room lying on the floor already- gone when I got there." I wipe a tear from my eye.

"Okay. I'm so sorry for your loss, you seem like a good kid. Down let this weigh you down, okay? It's not your fault sweetie." She says as she pats my shoulder.

"Sweetie." She says again patting my shoulder. "Cassie, wake up." I hear my moms voice and bolt up.

I had been dreaming about something that happened over the summer. I've tried to forget but It's hard when you wake up at 3am every night in a sweaty panic remembering what happened. I've lived with this guilt for so long it has become a part of me. Everyone always tells me it wasn't my fault, and there was nothing I could do. I know that's not true I could've done something, anything to help him.

"Cass, you don't want to be late on your first day of school." She says snapping me out of my trance.

"Yeah." I say back as she walks out of the room and closes the door behind her.

School. The thing I've been stressing about since Jeramy. Everyone knows we were dating when it happened. I already feel judged, hated, and alone and we all know kids at school can only make things worse. I only had a few friends before but most of them stopped talking to me over the summer. Most except my best friend Maddison. I don't think I would have gone back to school at all if it weren't for her.

I get out of bed, slip on my black legging, and a white and teal tee shirt. I put on my cream colored converse, grab my backpack full of school supplies I'll never use, my keys, and head out the door.

I put my bag in the passenger seat of my silver Ford and drive off to school. I see Maddison's car and park beside her.

"Hey Cass! How've you been I feel like I haven't seen you in forever!" She says. Maddison has dark blonde hair and blue eyes. She's quite pretty and she knows it, and everyone else does too.

"We hung out like 3 days ago."

"I know, but 3 days without you is like 3 days in hell!" She says throwing her arms up in the air.

We both laugh because of how over-dramatic she's being.

"Come on, let's go to gym." She says wrapping her arm around my shoulder.

Yep, that's right. I get to start my day with gym, lucky me.