Smoke and Hospitals

Start from the beginning

I opened her blouse slightly and put my hands on her chest, pressing down on it and giving CPR. I then did mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

"SOMEONE HELP!" I shouted at the top of my lungs. About five people rushed from the building, dripping wet. A teacher copied everything I did.

I kneeled by Cara's side while the teacher was helping her. I dialled an ambulance and they came within three minutes, putting her on a stretcher and securing an oxygen mask to her face.

I tried hopping in the ambulance with her but one of the men wouldn't let me.

"I'm going with her! I'm her boyfriend!" I lied, although the use of the sentence gave me butterflies and a surge of hope.

"Alright, go on," he said.

I really needed to go with her and be by her side. She needs someone other than the teacher who was also coming.

I sat beside her and held her hand.
"Cara please wake up!" I kept saying. I felt tears streaming down my face. I was freaking.

"She's gonna be okay, Niall. Don't panic," the teacher said.

I rubbed Cara's hand and kissed it.

We finally arrived at the hospital. The EMTs rushed her into some room and wouldn't let me enter.

"Let me in! I need to be with her!" I said to the doctor who wouldn't let me follow the stretcher she was on.

"Sir, we need to go through certain procedures to help her. You can't go in."

"Fuck sake!" I snapped. The teacher put her arm around me and tried calming me down. I sat down on a chair and soon fell asleep. About an hour later a nurse tapped my shoulder, waking me.

"Cara is awake and well, you can go see her now," she smiled and led me to Cara's room.

"Cara!" I ran over to her and gave her a tight hug.

"Who are you?" She looked startled.

"What? I'm Niall! Don't you remember me?" I worried frantically.

"I'm joking," she laughed.

"You almost gave me a heart attack!" I said in all seriousness.

"What happened, though, because I really can't remember," she said.

I sat down on the chair beside the hospital bed.

"I went up to your dorm to take you out and I smelled smoke. I kicked the door open, put you on my shoulder, ran out, did CPR, called an ambulance.. You were brought here." I said in one quick breath. "Thank God you're okay." Thank god she didn't realize that I put her mouth to mine during CPR....

"You saved my life. I don't know how I can thank you...."

"... I know how you can thank me..." I crossed my fingers, looking at the floor.

"How?" she laughed.

"... Be my girlfriend." I looked back at her. I was serious.

I waited a few seconds for her answer. I was literally sweating, I want her to be my girlfriend.

She looked unsure at first but then smiled at me.

"... Ok.... Yes. I will be your girlfriend."

"Really?!" I stood up with excitement.

"Yeah, I now realise that you have changed and you would do anything for me."

"This is great," I hugged her.

Cara's POV:

When I agreed to be his girlfriend, his face lit up with delight.

He hugged me and sat down on his chair with a huge smile on his face.

His smile faded and he rubbed his stomach.

"I'm starving," he said and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Go off and bring us back food, there's a shop downstairs."

"Okay. Be back in a few minutes, girlfriend." He smiled to himself and ran off.

When Niall left a doctor walked over to me.

"Ms. Ribeiro, your results came back perfect, no lung damage, no brain damage, everything is good," he said flicking through his clipboard.
"You can go home in about an hour, we're just looking over everything and making sure there's nothing out of the ordinary."

"That's great," I smiled.

"If you experience any pains in your stomach area or head, or anything, go to a doctor but everything should be good." Niall walked over to us with his hands full of food.

"Heya," he greeted the doctor, while stuffing his face.

"Who is this?" the doctor asked, looking rather frightened.

"That's my boyfriend, Niall," I laughed.

"Okay, well I was just saying everything is good and she can go home in about an hour. If she experiences any trauma, take her to a doctor-"

"Don't worry, I'll take good care of her." Niall replied with some food spitting out of his mouth, while he spoke.

"Alright, we'll let you know when you can leave," the doctor walked off.

Niall sat on my bed beside me.

"I got you a burger and chips," he handed me my food. "The teacher drove back to the school and said we should take our time."

"Okay," I replied.

After our food Niall laid down beside me until a nurse said we could go.