Chapter One: Excitement in One And Anxiety on the Other

Chapter One: Excitement in One and Anxiety on the Other

Drew Hayden was never the type to be unfashionable and uncool. He was always, I repeat, always, charming, sweet, charismatic, romantic, cool, attractive and always in fashion every minute of every day since he started, well, being charming, sweet, charismatic, romantic, cool, attractive and always in fashion.

Most probably after puberty buffed him out.

As his famous catchphrase goes 'You are what you eat'. Then he would always follow it up with 'But I clearly didn't remember eating a sexy beast this morning.' Couple it up with his signature smirk and hair flick then BOOM, nosebleed from all his fangirls.

Everywhere.

Though the catchphrase was partially true, celery was his favorite vegetable after all. But 'sexy celery' didn't sound charismatic or cool enough for his media debut.

Nor did 'sexy cauliflower'.

If anyone could topple that 'sexy beast' which was Drew Hayden, it was no other than Maybelle Maple.

His secret crush.

For someone who claims that he's too beautiful for anyone to have, he easily gets flustered by the simplest gesture of a mere plain girl.

"Drew, thanks for your help with my Science assignment."

"Don't thank me January, it's not like I really enjoyed our alone time together at your room for three hours and thirty-six long minutes. I'll have you know that in that span of time I wasn't nervous or anxious thinking that the whole situation was somehow romantic. And I slept very soundly the night after that. Or the nights after that."

"That was, uhh, strangely detailed."

" Oh, uhh, Iforgottofeedmydogthismorningbye!"

Then he bailed out as fast as he could. Honestly he didn't have a dog, he owned a cat. He just panicked really badly.

And when she said that she wanted to meet the dog he mentioned, he would have bought one without any hesitation. But since he didn't have any money, he changed the identity of his cat, which was originally named 'Jeremy', to 'Dog'. It took an awful lot of explanation that he didn't actually have a dog but a cat named 'Dog', but thankfully May bought it without any skepticism.

Thankfully, she was just as big of an idiot as he was.

So was he able to tell her that he liked her? Sadly, no. It's not that he didn't have any confidence about his looks and charms. He just couldn't admit himself to do such. He panicked easily, therefore he settled by giving her roses.

Even that simple act took a lot out of him.

"Drew? Is this rose for me?"

"No April! Why would I give you a rose for exactly any romantic and passionate reason? It's for, uhm, uhh, doing a good job on that Math exam."

"But I failed."

"I mean the English exam."

"But the exam is still next week."

"Then it's an advance prize gift of some sort! Jeez you're so persistent June, just take it."

Then he would walk away steaming with embarrassment.

When he thought it wouldn't go any more embarrassing, the situation would always hit him with a big bold 'challenge accepted' slap in the face.

He had sometimes dreamed of it but never in real life would he experience it with May –a date.

Just as he barely escaped after giving her another rose, May grabbed his shirt and told him that she wanted to eat at this new café that opened.

"Drew! They're having this limited edition sale!" May stated as she tightened her grip on his shirt. "It's a buy-one-take-one for every couple!" She added.

"September! I know I could be a wonderful boyfriend." Drew's glowing face was betraying his act of defiance. "But sadly I'm not your boyfriend, or anyone's boyfriend for that matter."

"I know that." She replied thoughtfully. "I just thought that we could pretend and eat as much cake as we could."

Deep inside, Drew willed himself so much from hugging her tightly while screaming 'Brilliant idea Maple! Eat as many cakes as we could and plus it's a date!' but his inner tsundere just got the better off him.

"No, we shouldn't do that June, are you stupid? That's like cheating. It's against the rules."

May let go of her grip on his shirt. "You're right. It wouldn't be fair." She replied. "But I really wanted to eat that Chocolate Raspberry Truffle, Toasted Almond Cake and that Cappuccino and Chocolate Buttercream."

"That's, that's too bad, I guess."

May then suddenly gleamed a determined look and fisted the air. "I'll go ask Brendan!"

"You got yourself a deal!" Drew suddenly interrupted her as she was about to sprint outside the door of their classroom.

"Really?! You're agreeing?" May grinned at him.

Drew tried to suppress his raveling emotions and darted his look away from her beautiful sapphire gems.

"I, uhm, just also happen to like, uhh, that choco berry muffle cake." He lied. "And that third cake you mentioned." He added lamely.

"Yey! Thanks Dre-"

"Hold it!" He raised his index finger at her. "You definitely owe me for this." He stated in a serious tone before walking away and leaving her inside the classroom.

"Of course! Bye!" May waved at him before he finally disappeared by the stairs.

"Oh my god, oh my god, a date with Maple! Gotta buy new shoes, new clothes, new perfume, new shampoo, new hairspray." He mumbled to himself before he realized something that horrified him very greatly. "This is my first date! I don't know the things to talk about or things to do!" He stopped walking and sulked by the third set of stairs. "Oh I know! I'll have Gary, Ash, and Paul teach me about these date stuff."

Meanwhile.

May happily skipped out of the room. "Unlimited cake here I come!" She said in a sing-sang voice. "Bavarian Mint Supreme, White Pistachio Marble Cake, Cherry Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter Fudge Torte..." She continued.

"Oh wait." She paused and thought for a while. "I need to think of what to wear for tomorrow."

"Well who cares!" She screamed before running down the stairs. "Cake, cake, cake, cake!"