"I've been wanting to tell you something," Alec admitted, his hands fidgeting nervously, moving from his jacket pockets, to his belt buckle, and then to his stele that was tucked into his belt, twirling it around his fingers much like Adrian had done with his dagger. A nervous habit that Alec had never managed to contain. He wouldn't look at Adrian, keeping his eyes ahead. "Something I've been wanting to tell you for a while, I just...I don't know how you'll react to..."

It would have been so easy for Adrian to just say, I already know, Alec, it's okay, but he knew that wasn't even the point of this. He had gone through this same scenario before, building up enough courage to simply say the words to someone who wasn't himself. He wasn't going to take that act of bravery away from Alec by saying he already knew.

"Well," Adrian said when Alec trailed off, forcing himself to sound casual. "When you're ready to tell me whatever it is you want to tell me, I'll be here." Finally, Alec looked at him. The amount of vulnerability on his face made Adrian's heart jump into his throat. Alec's mouth opened again, his pupils blown wide, and Adrian realized with a start that Alec was about to tell him, right there on the open street.

"I—"

"We're here!" Blinking fast, Adrian shot a look ahead to see that Isabelle had stopped and was waving her arms in the air at them. When he turned his gaze back toward Alec, his vulnerability was gone, and his lips were pressed so tightly together that they were losing some of their color. Adrian released a soft sigh.

"We can talk later," he said softly as they approached where Isabelle and Simon waiting. "If you want." Alec only nodded, head ducked low enough that his hair covered his eyes. Like a veil he could hide behind. With another sigh, he broke into a jog to reach Isabelle before the other three people could. Isabelle gave him a curious look, arms crossed over her chest and hip cocked to the side.

"What was that about?" she asked, shooting one single glance at her brother, who had regained his composure and had stopped ducking his head, for the most part. "Did something happen? You look sad."

"I wouldn't say I'm sad, exactly, just..." He lamely shrugged him shoulders, avoiding both her and Simon's gaze as Alec reached them. Silence descended on the four of them as they waited for Jace and Clary, who had lagged farther behind than Adrian had thought. Adrian cast a bored glance around, taking in the cars on the street. His eyes passed over something reflecting the street lamp back at him, though it was too low to the ground to be a car. He took a cautious step forward, narrowing his eyes, and then released a delighted shout when he realized what he was looking at.

"Jace!" he heard Alec shout. Adrian ignored them all, jumping from the curb and slinging a leg over one of the motorcycles, settling against the leather seat and tightening his hands around the handlebars. Isabelle joined him, clicking her tongue.

"One would think this is Christmas morning," she observed. Adrian shot her a small smile.

"Would you rather me be sad, Izzy? I can go back to that." Isabelle raised her hands in mock surrender.

"Have at it, Dri." By then, Jace and Clary had joined them. Clary and Simon stayed on the sidewalk, not understanding what was so special about a couple of motorcycles, while the Shadowhunters marveled over them. Dimly, Adrian heard Jace start to explain to Clary that the motorcycles ran by demon energy, capable of doing things regular mundane motorcycles couldn't. Adrian didn't pay attention to that. He was paying attention to Alec, who was helping Jace explain with obvious excitement on his face. Adrian felt himself smile at the sight. He was trying to stifle it when he noticed Isabelle staring at him.