Chapter 2

Chloe POV

Lucy seemed really nice, but I'm still very unsure about her dancing.  I'm afraid that she will be hated on by Abby and never want to dance again.  I'm also afraid that she will do really well and Abby won't like the rest of us and just her.  So right know, I'll just try to make friends with her. 

"Mom?" I asked suddenly.  I was in the living room watching Sesame Street with Clara. 

"Yes Chlo?" She answered.

"Can I invite Lucy over today, you know, just to get to know her?"  I asked.

"Sure, I'll invite her mom too so that I can get to know her as well."  Mom agreed.  "Lucy seems like a nice girl and a good dancer."  She added.  I nodded.  "I'll go call them now."

"Who es Lucy?"  Clara asked me.

"Just a friend, a girl that goes to dance with me."  I answered.

"Oh, hav fun Cwohburd."  She said, and clapped her hands as Big Bird pranced onto the screen.

A few moments later Mom came back into the room and announced that Lucy was coming in an hour.  Well, better go get ready. 

I went to my room and stripped off my undershirt and sweatpants.  I changed into a pale blue dress with a low back and threaded a brown belt around my torso.  I washed my face and applied little makeup to my face.  I curled my hair and pulled it back into a half up half down style.  Not bad Chlo.  I said to myself.

Lucy arrived on time with her mom.  She was wearing Abercrombie jean shorts and a lace crop top. 

"Hi, how are you?"  My mom said as soon as the door was opened.  "I'm Chrisi, Chloe's mom."  She reached out to shake Lucy's mom's hand. 

"Hi, I'm Lilian, Lucy's mom."  She said shaking my mom's hand happily.  "This is my daughter Lucy." 

"Hi Lucy,"  My mom said.  "Why don't you two go and play and I'll talk to Lilian."  My mom said, gesturing to Lucy and I.

I led Lucy to our back yard to a large expanse of grass.  I stole a blanket from on of our porch chairs and laid it out on the grass.  "So, I like your top."  I said to Lucy.

"Thanks," She said a little shyly.  "Your dress is super cute.  Where'd you get it?" 

"Sally Miller," I said.  "It's really hot out do you want to go swimming?" 

"Sure," Lucy said, relaxing a little.  "But I didn't bring a swimsuit."

"That's okay, you can borrow one of mine."  I said, leading her to the glass door that lead to the house.  I guided her to my room and rummaged around in my swim suit drawer.  I found one of my newer bathing suits and handed it to her.  "You can change in my bathroom."  I said pointing to the door on my right. 

"Thanks Chloe."  She said.  God this was really awkward.

I pulled out my favorite bathing suit--an orange bikini with ruffles--just as Lucy walked out of the bathroom.  She looked super cute in the bathing suit.  It was a navy blue and white striped bikini.  She looked better in it than I ever did. 

"This is super cute too!"  Lucy exclaimed.

"You can have it."  I said, and her eyes widened to the size of baseballs.  "Seriously, you look better in it than I ever did."  Lucy smiled wider than ever.

"You're really nice Chloe, a lot nicer than I thought you were."  Lucy said.

"Thanks," I said, loosening up to her.

I got my bathing suit on and we went outside and swam for a little while then had a picnic on my lawn.  It was really fun.  I asked Lucy to show me her dancing skills, and so we put on some dance wear, and went to my basement.  We had lots of fun doing turns and acro tricks, practicing our ariels and by the end of it all we felt like we had known each other for years.  I couldn't wait to see her tomorrow at dance.