Buddy System

It's bad enough having to go on a family vacation with your own crazy parents, but imagine having to go with sixteen family members, not even including your uncles and aunts and their children!

"Alright kids, LINE UP!" Garroth Starcross, Patrick's father, ordered. He checked his stopwatch. "Alright. We have about eight hours until the wedding. Lex, you're in charge of the flower girl and ring barer's outfits. Heather, you tackle the cake. The rest of you find you're own extras to your outfits. We meet here in four hours. Find your assigned partner, and go!" Garroth linked arms with his wife and set off to find a cummerbund and a matching tie, as well as flowers for the girl's hair.

"Okay! Lexie, Patrick. Heather, Lauren. Opal, Samantha. Haylee, Melanie. Julia, Kori. Casey, Cora. Stacy, Symphony. And me? Ha. I'll be at the movies of y'all need me." Drake started off with a sinister smirk plastered to his tightly fitted skinned, pale face. His black hair draped over one of his vexing green-as-slime eyes, and a silver ring looped around the side of his lip. He had a nose piercing on the side too, a tiny white diamond that sparkled miraculously. Patrick honestly didn't mind his brother. Drake typically tended to stay out of other's business and keep to himself; must be an emo thing. Patrick found it rather confusing, he could barely read his brother's emotions and often wondered if he had any at all.

"Patrick, pay attention!" Lexie ripped his arm from his pocket, and began to literally drag him into the mall. "Now, on this list I have to find a gorgeous little girl's flower girl dress. Ugh, seriously? Nya does NOT deserve to be the flower girl." She snickered a bit. "Maybe you should be." She tousled Patrick's flowing blonde hair. "You'd look cute in a dress."

Patrick rolled his eyes and stuck out his lower lip a bit. "Why are you so mean to me? I'm not a girl!" He tore his arm away from her iron grip. Her abnormally long nails (considering they were fake), caught on his skin causing his arm to draw a little blood in the three scrapes she made. "Owe!" Patrick squeaked.

"Suck it up will you!" She patted his cheek and stood up tall. "Now, let's try Coach for shoes."

"Whatever." Patrick chided, following her long strides with many of his own.

About an hour had passed, Patrick having to sit on a bench outside a wedding shop and listen to Lexie bark on her phone to people, at the same time as deciding the trim on the pretty dress. Patrick did indeed think it was pretty, prettier then his own ring barer's outfit. He sighed softly, and drummed his fingertips out of boredom on the armrest of his chair. Lexie finally emerged from the shop, plastic films covering her outfits in which she had worked so hard to make perfect.

"Well? Come on brat! We don't have much time to order lunch and catch that movie I wanted to see!" Lexie tossed her bouncy, golden blonde hair over her shoulder which matched perfectly with her little white jean jacket and designer tights to go with her platinum white mini skirt. Underneath the jean jacket she was dressed in a black long sleeved crop top, with a little golden necklace dangling at the base of her throat. She also wore sparkling white pumps on her small feet, making her inches taller. Her hair flowed beautifully down her back, with a headband holding her bangs back, and a small ponytail to compliment that (like Ariana Grande's). Patrick sighed once again, knowing there was no reasoning with this woman.

"Yes Lex. Let's go." He held his hand out, hoping she'd hold it like a good sister. Show him the affection he craved from his family. A simple gesture to show she loved him. But she didn't. Instead she took him by his hoodie on his sweatshirt and dragged him to the food court.

"Hmm, I'mma order a salad, and a Double Whip Mocha Latte, two pumps caramel. What do you want." She tapped her chin, staring up at the Starbucks menu.

"I...I'll take..can I have a smoothie?" Patrick answered.

"Water it is. That's all." She told him, as she placed the order. "Hey, little brother, I'm not rich."

"But...yes you are! Our family is-"

"Shut your trap, twat." Lexie snapped, her latte being handed to her. "I don't feel like paying for something you don't deserve. You sat there the whole time and didn't even help-WHY should I award you?"

"You asked me to stay out of your way!" Patrick protested.

"Whatever." With a flick of her hair, she handed Patrick his water bottle and began once more to tear him from humanity and into her own world, where everything worshipped Lexie. "Let's see...ooh! How about..Dead Silence. It's a movie about some puppet guy who arrives as a present to a house, and he totally murders everyone he scares!"

"It-It sounds scary. I d-don't like scary movies Lexie." Patrick stammered, anxiously shifting his weight.

"Don't be ridiculous Pat! Let's see it."

She ended up buying the tickets and next thing they knew, Patrick and Lexie were sitting side by side in the movie theater, slowly waiting for the movie to appear on screen. It opened up on a stormy night in a dark house. A puppet had arrived to a just married couple. The man had gone out for groceries. Seemed alright so far to Patrick, until fifteen minutes into the movie the woman was stabbed and choked and her ribcage was ripped from her chest. Blood sprayed the floor. Patrick screamed and clenched his eyes shut, burying his face into Lexie's shoulder.

"Get a grip, dumbass!" Lexie smacked his head, causing the little blonde boy to rear back and sink into the chair. He curled into a ball, just wanting the movie to be over. Throughout the two hours the movie lasted, screams and bad words swarmed Patrick's head, penetrating a feeling telling him all he really wanted was someone to look out for him, to care. To cover his eyes during scary parts of a movie. To call him nice names. To convince him he wasn't ugly. To want him for more then just his money. All Patrick truly wanted, was a friend.