24/04/15 - The day before I met him

I am sooooo bored.

It's a Friday night and as usual my parents are sitting downstairs watching TV. I sit in the corner of my bed throwing a ball against the wall and catching it as it comes back to me. I have been in this same position for the past 40 minutes and I literally would rather be doing anything than this right now.

My phone buzzes next to me, and I lean down to pick it up. It's my friend Jess, and I smile because plans with Jess always turn out to be great. I slide to unlock the phone and immediately I hear a yell as she screams my name down the phone.

Slowly, I lift the phone back to my ear and mutter back a sigh of, 'Hi, Jess, why are you calling me?'

'Hey! Basically I was wondering if you would like to come out to London with me tomorrow?'

'Uh, I don't know if I can? I'll have to check but it depends who's coming.'

'Well, there's gonna be some new guys turning up but it'll be the usual, you know-'

I tuned out the rest of whatever she said and interrupted as I asked, 'Ohhh who's the new guys?'

She laughed at my reaction and told me, 'I don't know, they're not from the area but I guess we'll find out who they are soon enough, are you interested in coming then?'

'Maybe, at least can I speak to one of these people first before I meet them?'

She stayed quiet for some time, presumably thinking about whether or not it was a good idea that I of all people should message a complete stranger. Then she gave in and said 'Sure! There is a guy called Will turning up, I can give you his number? Get a piece of paper and write it down, it's 07948692058.'

I decided that I might as well go through with it and message him, I mean what could possibly go wrong? It's not like I'm meeting him in the middle of a street all alone at midnight hoping not to get kidnapped.

'Thanks Jess, well I'll think about coming depending on what this guy is like, but for now I'm going to bed, bye!'

After I hung up the phone I immediately decided to text him, I made my decision before, why not just go through with it?

I sent a quick text of 'Hi' to him, and put my phone down, assuming he wouldn't reply in the next 30 minutes.

Immediately, however, my phone buzzed, and I looked down to see, 'Who is this?'

I knew this guy and I would get along, I could tell he was confident, I liked it when they didn't leave you hanging for hours just to seem cool. I decided I would reply as quickly as him, and I began with small talk asking him 'How are you?'.

For the next three hours we spoke non stop, and I almost forgot that we hadn't even met and I didn't ask my parents if I could go out yet. At around 11PM, when our conversation was coming to a close and I planned to head off to bed he finally asked, 'So, are you coming tomorrow?'

I wondered about this for a while, I didn't really plan on leaving the house this weekend but at the same time it was exactly what I needed, a break from all this constant routine and something a little out there and away from my family.

'Yes,' I said, 'I'll see you tomorrow.'