topic1

TOPICS FOR SPEAKING EXAM

1. How have petro-politics affected Russia's role in the world? (Unit 1)

Petroleum politics have been an increasingly important aspect of international diplomacy since the rise of the oil industry in the Middle East in the early 20th century.

- The meaning of petro-politics: use petrol power to achieve political goals

- Second, why petrol can be used as a tool to achieve political goals?

o Oil is very important in the economic development of the world and also in every person's daily life

o Army strength, which plays a very important role in each and every country, depends heavily on oil - It helps countries to retain international status.

- Third, how petro-politics affect the role of Russia in the world?

o Russia: 2nd oil supplier (after Middle East), one of the largest oil-reserving countries

o Social and Economic: Russia regained its position thanks to oil exportation

 Russia has regained its past glory by transformed from chaos to stability, from fragmentation to centralization and from poverty to prosperity.

 By prioritized economics in Russia's foreign policy and seeking harmonized within the country, Former President Putin has brought Russia back from the ashes to regain its international status as one of the predominant superpowers of the decade.

 Therefore, Russia can use the money from selling oil to deal with many problems in its country such as: economic crisis, public welfare and developing infrastructure.

o Politics and foreign relations: Russia uses petrol (embargoes of petrol or ways to control the supply of petrol) to achieve its political goal:

 A bridge for Russia to seek harmonizes with the world - For example, the Sino-Russia relationship has been claimed to reach its "best" in the history

 Putting pressure upon neighboring countries (such as Ukraine):

• prevent them from taking side of the West and going against Russia

• limit the influence of the West upon Russia

On conclusion, there are many other factors that lead to the rising of Russia, but petro-politic act as one of the most importing factors that help the Russian Bear to awaken from its winter-hibernation.

2. Some economists believe that China will continue to attract the bulk of international investment at the expense of Southeast Asia. Do you agree? What should Southeast Asian nations do to attract investors? (Unit 2)

I do not agree with the statement that China will snatch all the international capital from South East Asia. This is due to many reasons.

- First, everyone has to admit that China's economy will continue to rise, even to the 2nd of the world, but the developing countries do not need to worry too much.

- China has its own problems:

o From its historical experience:

 China's booming economics rise will lead to the decrease of excess returns

 Chinese worker will eventually ask for a higher wages

 This is a permanent problem comes from China "hot" economic developing, and cannot be settle in a near future.

o Corruption in Chinese administration regime may discourage investors

o Political instability and insecurity (Tibet...)