CHAPTER NINE - the Staff of Sunev

Start from the beginning

‘And the soul scanner never lies!’ Andromeda pointed out. ‘You are Sunev!’

Venus’s shoulders slumped as the last tiny straw of hope floated away from her. Her mind chased itself round in circles trying to work out the chronology of her scattered existence. It was at that moment that a very strange thing happened. Her gaze wandered through the open doorway of the hut and alighted on a stand of willowy looking trees rippling along the banks of the river. The water twinkled in the moonlight. A flock of birds flapped around the treetops. Something about the image triggered a distant memory deep in her psyche. She was hit by a sudden sense of déjà vu – vague, inexplicable and hard to pin down in words, images or even thoughts. It was just a feeling. She had been here before! In another life! Suddenly she felt she knew this place.

Another wave of energy, like the one she had felt on the beach with the Sea Horse, washed through her and she was gripped with a sudden conviction. Maybe this was her destiny. She didn’t fancy it, but she had no choice. She sat up straight and looked round at her motley collection of new best friends. ‘Okay, I guess I’ll have to do it, as long as you promise to get me back in time for my maths test tomorrow. ’

The energy shifted immediately. Cries of ‘Praise be! Rejoice! Blessed be the heavens! Give thanks to the Holy Cosmos!’ echoed round the hut. A huge cheer went up and various quaint musical instruments were brought out and played in a chorus of approval. Kalia produced several small silver pipes, one in each hand, which she tootled on alternately. Hanatsha brought out a small banjo shaped thing and strummed on it and Cy started banging out a bongo on some drums made from gourds. Ganeshon just trumpeted down his nose.   

Venus waited for the fuss to die down. ‘Okay. So what do you want me to do?’

Andromeda smiled and rose to her feet. She went over to a gleaming chrome casket and pulled something out. It looked like a gnarled old wooden stick. She glided back over to Venus and handed it to her. It was solid, yet not too heavy, covered with intricate carvings, symbols and hieroglyphics, so small you could hardly make them out. In the tip of it were three hollow sockets.

‘What’s this?’

‘It’s the most precious and potentially powerful object on the planet,’ explained Andromeda, ‘it is the Staff of Sunev.  He - sorry, you - carried it everywhere with him. Amongst other things it is a divining rod. It will help you navigate the planet and its shifting terrain. It will also help you keep in touch with me.’ She pointed at the hollows in the tip.  ‘But here’s the important part, Serenity. The Staff cannot achieve its full potential without the three Grailstones that fit in here. They were lost during the war. The Greenstone, symbolising Strength and Courage, fits in here. The red Bloodstone, symbolising Love and Generosity, fits in here. And finally the main Grailstone, the blue Skystone, symbolising Wisdom, Peace and Harmony, fits in this socket. When all the stones are found and replaced in the Staff, it will vibrate with its full Holy power, the power to conquer evil and bring back peace to the world. But only you can find and replace the stones and only you can use the Staff. When you do, the scales will fall from your eyes. New wisdom, knowledge and insight will be yours and your third eye will open. ‘

‘What!’ exploded Venus. This really was the last straw. ‘Look, don’t take this personally Andromeda, but the three eyed thing is not a good look on earth. And it’s very high maintenance. Do you people have any idea of the price of mascara these days? Even on special offer?’

‘Fear not,’ smiled Andromeda. ‘It is only an inner eye. It would not be visible on your own planet.’

‘Okay, but this Grailstone collecting business – it sounds a lot more complicated than a treasure hunt at Guides.’