25. The First Sixth Month Ball

Börja om från början

“Ooh!” exclaimed Natalie, coming between the two and throwing her arms over their shoulders. “I knew I should have brought a camera! You know, this day will forever be implanted in your heads! This is the day you’ll be telling your grandchildren of how…”

Draco tuned her out, and his eyes met Granger’s without making the conscious decision to do so. She was standing a little further back, just behind Narcissa, while fidgeting with her hands. She looked strange and very unsure, and the distance she kept between herself and the rest of them suggested a lack of belonging.

She smiled vaguely at Draco and took a cautious step towards them. But then Natalie, still gushing, pulled him into a group hug with Ophelia. His side was pressed into her, and he could feel her jaw moving above his head as she continued to ramble. Draco’s eyes never left Granger, though. She looked between them before taking a step backwards. With a look in her eyes that wasn’t happy or sad, a look he couldn’t place, she slowly walked away.

It seemed she had made the decision she didn’t belong here after all. And it was strange, because Draco felt like he should have gone with her. 

***

“What are you doing over here?”

Hermione turned towards the voice and found herself staring at a very formal looking Derek.

“Oh, hey,” she said, smiling softly. “Listen, I’ve been meaning to get a hold of you. About what happened in the coffee room, and I brought up that… embarrassing incident of yours. I never meant to… well, it was harsh and I shouldn’t have gotten upset with you when Draco was just as much to blame.”

He shrugged, though he did appear pleased. “Forget it.”

Silence fell.

“You look nice,” he told her, eyes surveying the bits of skin that was exposed.

“Oh, um, thanks.” Hermione crossed her arms awkwardly. Then realised she’d given him a better view of her breasts and let them fall hopelessly to her sides again. But then she felt exposed again. Repeated the action. Then let her arms drop again.

“So,” he began, amused, “you still never answered my question.”

“What was it again?”

“You never told me why you’re over here.”

“What, a girl can’t stand near the refreshment table and eat all the Chocolate Frogs by herself?” she asked jokingly, but her tone was oddly flat, so it wasn’t very effective. He smiled politely nevertheless. Hermione found herself wishing he’d be like Draco and just tell her straight out the joke was horrible.

“The girls here go for the carrot sticks.” He gestured to a glass tray, where only three carrot sticks and two celeries were left.

“And the men?” she asked.

He grinned. “In the dinning room.”

She snorted, suddenly remembering Ron. “Typical. God forbid the women might want more than rabbit food.”

“You still haven’t told me why you’re here.”

Hermione raised an eyebrow. “Well, I was invited, so –”

“No, no. I mean, why are you here alone?”

“I’m not alone,” she said quickly, feeling a need to defend herself. He looked at her sceptically. Hermione sighed in surrender. “Okay, fine. I’m by myself like some –”

“Crazy cat lady?” he offered.

“Yeah –” She stopped short and did a double take. “Where did you hear that?”