"Pawn to King 4," he said, using the ancient, descriptive chess notation that Chata was bound to have in her memory banks.

There was a soft whispering sound as the giant pawn glided forwards two squares – to the fourth square in front of Alex's king – and stopped.

"Pawn to Queen's Bishop 3," said Chata.

"Pawn to Queen 4," said Alex.

"Pawn to Queen's Knight 3."

The large black and white pieces moved neatly on both sides of the board. Alex relaxed a bit. The board was bigger than any he had played on before, but chess was still chess and he knew how to play it. They went through several more moves each.

"Queen to Queen's Bishop 2," said Chata. "This is wonderful. I've forgotten how much I enjoy this. Thank you again, Prince Alex."

"You're welcome. Rook to Queen's Bishop 1," said Alex.

"Yes. Great. Come on, Alex," said Ellen. "Hurry up."

"Your highness, don't distract him," said Captain Zachary.

"I'm fine," said Alex, without looking around, keeping track of where all his pieces were. But as he said that, he realised Ellen was right. He was playing carefully. Lord Blackstar and the Sirians were playing Chata – or other versions of her – in the other rooms right now. For all he knew, one or both of them might have won already and be in their second rooms. This was not just a game. It was also a race. If they wanted the notebook, he needed to win quickly.

"Knight to King's Bishop 5," he said.

"Pawn to Queen's Bishop 4," said Chata.

"Pawn to Queen's Bishop 4. Pawn captures Pawn," said Alex.

A green transmitter laser glowed underneath Chata's pawn. It disappeared from its square and rematerialised at the side of the board. Alex's pawn slid onto the square.

"Well done, your highness," said Captain Zachary.

"Yes. Great. Do it again," said Ellen.

Alex nodded, studying the board and reminding himself not to get overconfident. He just needed to checkmate Chata as fast as possible.

"Bishop to King's Rook 5," he said.

"Knight to King's Bishop 4," said Chata.

"Bishop to King's Bishop 4. Bishop captures Knight," said Alex. He would do this the simple way; capture enough of Chata's pieces to create an opening and then checkmate her king.

"Yes! Keep going," said Ellen. On the screen, Chata clicked her teeth.

"Pawn to Queen's Rook 7," she said.

"Rook to Queen's Rook 2. Rook captures knight," said Alex.

"Drat!" said Chata, shaking her head. "Four hundred years is too long. I really am out of practice."

Alex had to agree. Chata was playing reactively, trying to get close to his moves with the nearest pieces she had. She was not stopping to think if her pieces could do anything useful when they got there. She was almost walking into some of his captures.

"Pawn to King 5."

"Queen to King 4. Queen captures Pawn," said Alex.

"She isn't very good at this, is she?" murmured Alice.

"I know. This is our lucky day," whispered Ellen.

"Yes, but she's a computer," said Alice. "Her memory should be perfect..."