23. Distractions in Diagon Alley

Start from the beginning

However, before he could comment, Granger then forced all three Slytherins into Obscurus Books. And Draco might have protested if it hadn’t been for the look of utter glee and fascination on her face. He watched her dart from bookshelf to bookshelf, picking up as many books as her hands could carry, flicking through as many as she possibly could at once. He was so intrigued by her; Draco didn’t even hear Pansy whining about being seen in a bookstore. 

Finally, two hours later, they were in Madam Malkin's. Granger and Pansy went to the furthest side of the store, where all the women’s clothing was.

He and Blaise didn’t take long to pick out their suits. Both tried them on, Draco buying the traditional black and white, Blaise picking out one similar to him and then going back for something a little different; navy blue.

Draco leaned against the store’s window and waited for Blaise. He’d been unusually quiet since leaving the Magical Menagerie and was still adverting his gaze. From what, Draco didn’t know. He just knew something was up.

“What happened?” Draco asked when he stepped from the changing room.

“Suit didn’t fit,” he muttered. “I need a size up.”

Draco stayed in his spot by the window as Blaise went to the rack of tuxedos. “That’s not what I was talking about,” he said evenly.

Blaise paused briefly and then grabbed the right size. He strode over to the register without looking at Draco. This time he followed.

“Just this?” the woman asked.

Blaise nodded and handed over his money when she’d folded the suit up. Draco’s gaze didn’t shift from his friend once, and Blaise’s didn’t move from the lady behind the desk. His jaw was set, but otherwise he gave no indication that he was aware of Draco’s staring. He continued to watch him until Draco heard rustling, which told him the woman was putting Blaise’s purchase into a bag. Still, he did not look away.

“Thanks.” Blaise gave the cashier a quick smile and went outside the store, Draco following quickly in his wake. For a moment, it looked like he was going to keep walking and go into the store across the street, but hesitated. Draco made up Blaise’s mind for him and reached out to tug him back.

“What’s going on Blaise?”

Blaise was now looking at a point somewhere beyond Draco’s shoulder, staring at but not seeing the people walking past.

“Blaise,” he said again.

His mouth moved but no words came.

“What?”

“I didn’t mean to,” he repeated.

“Didn’t mean to what?”

Blaise looked him in the eye, though the simple action wasn’t easy for him. He looked like he wanted to run. “The other day,” he began, “when I said I went to see Pansy…”

“Yeah?” Draco pressed.

His dark eyes darted to the store, as if to make sure they wouldn’t be overheard, and then back to Draco. “She didn’t take the news so good. About Theodore. She’s just had such rotten luck with guys. She started sobbing a lot and I told her she’d be okay, I said she was strong and she didn’t need Theodore by her side to prove that. And then…” His breath caught, and it took a few moments before he spoke again. “Then, she kissed me. I kissed her back, and…”

“And?” he persisted, mouth suddenly dry.

“We slept together.”

“You and Pansy…” Draco repeated, because he was sure he heard his friend wrong.