“Buddy. I have to…” He quieted her with another kiss. “The baby …” He stopped at her desperate tone.

“What is it, love?”

“The baby kicking makes me need to use the, um, ya know?” Sally pointed to the floor, where the pot for the room rested near the bed.

“Oh, oh, sorry. I’ll let you have some private time to relieve yourself.” He smiled before one last, quick kiss. “I’ll be outside the door waiting.” He pulled his pants and shirt on and stepped out for a few moments.

His thoughts wandered to the unbelievable lovemaking they’d shared the night before. Sally had seemed as nervous as he’d felt, but her skills were astounding. They’d not slept much for most of the night. Eventually her family state forced her to sleep in the wee hours. He’d been content to hold her while she slept; smelling her hair, feeling her soft skin, listening to her breathe evenly. She’d said he was amazing, but the truth was that she was beyond belief. How he waited this long to marry her, he wasn’t sure, but he was sure yesterday was the perfect day.

“Buddy. Buddy? You can come back in, sweetheart.” She peeked out just enough to call him back. As he entered the room, shutting the door behind him, her stomach growled, sending a slight echo throughout the room.

“Wanna get something to eat? I’m famished myself.” He laughed at her embarrassment.

“Yes. Let’s see if Corinne and Ryne are up and about.” Sally was anxious to see her friends, but didn’t want to leave the privacy of their temporary sanctuary, either. “We don’t have to stay out long.”

He circled his arms around her and they came to rest on her belly. Sally in turn rested her head on his shoulder. “Good thing, Mrs. Brand. I’ve an inclination to keep you here all day.” Her stomach growled again. “But, it sounds like nourishment is a necessity just now.” She nodded, never taking her head from his shoulder.

“Yes, please. But, after we eat, and visit for a few minutes, we should maybe come back here for a while. I’m of the same mind: I want to be alone with you for a very long time.” Sally’s coy tone and gentle smile stirred his heart, among other things.

*****

Seeing the Brands walk into the dining room almost made Corinne tip her chair over, she stood so quickly. Mamie wasn’t far behind. They rushed to greet the happy couple; questions abounded simultaneously. Most of them asked what the couple was doing in public so soon.

“Sustenance! Food! The baby said it was time for something to eat!” Sally laughed, and Mamie roared.

“Yes, they tend to do that, especially in the last few months. I found I spent the first few months unable to hold any food in, and the last few unable to turn any away.” They took their seats, making room for the couple, and ordered more food.

“When do you plan on returning to Erie?” Ryne asked between bites of scrambled eggs.

“I am assuming Sally wants to see Denver first; take a honeymoon of sorts. We’ll probably return by week’s end, if possible. I briefly spoke to Sheriff Will and he is returning today.”

Mamie piped in. “I, too, am returning today. Tom’s due home soon and I don’t want to be gone longer than necessary.” She and Corinne shared a secret smile. Sally’s smile had yet to fade.

“Where’s Mr. Fritz? I need to thank him for his help yesterday. I wouldn’t be sitting here if he hadn’t acted so heroically.”

“He left early. He said he had business. I’m guessing with Mrs. Mulholland. Strange situation, that is. I hope it all works out well for her.” Ryne left it at a shrug.