second chapter

second chapter :

no one had to tell a lie; except charlie

[ Back Then ]

        Having a new student after spring break was an unusual thing; at least for Ashton and his classmates. However, him and his two close friends, Jay and Cameron, didn't really care about it except Ashton's girlfriend was talking to the new student which drew their attention.

        "This is only your first day and you're making yourself ridiculous already," Harley, the blonde haired girl, spoke with an annoyed tone. She was the cheerleader captain, the smartest girl in her math class, plus the Ashton rwin's girlfriend.

        No one would want to mess with the Harley August Canter.

        "I'm sorry, okay? I wasn't staring, I swear," the new student, who turned out to be a girl, answered. Her voice cracked, making Ashton's eyebrows furrowed. 

        Ashton really didn't care but he couldn't help it. He walked to the spot where his girlfriend was and stared down at the new girl. Well, he was quite surprised to see she had the same hair color as Harley.

        "What's your name?" Ashton asked out of nowhere, making the girl stared at him confused.

        Ashton could tell she was nervous. Her eyes wandered everywhere but his, as if they were something she wouldn't want to look at. Ever.

        "Charlotte Rose," she finally said.

         Harley rolled her eyes. "Alright, Charlie Rose-"

        "It's Charlotte," she corrected.

        "God, whatever!" Harley laughed sarcastically as she waved her hands in the air. "Freak."

        Ashton couldn't help but smirk. And with that, they left, leaving the almost-faint-faced Charlie Rose.

        * * *

[ Now ]

        Ashton blinked a few times only to find himself sitting in the hospital hallway, with Harley holding his hands. Jay and Cameron were there too. Ashton was glad Aunt Marine was still in her husband's gala dinner and no one had contacted her earlier.

        The things Aunt Marine could do if she finds out about this terrified him. (Hey, she would literally let Ashton suffer a month without pocket money!).

        "Did you see that, Ashton?" Jay spoke, interrupting the silence around them.

        "What?" Ashton asked with a low tone. He'd lost his interest in everything since then.

        "I swear I just saw Officer Grayson. I think he's going to Charlie's room," Jay said as his gaze led to room 207 at the end of the hall.

        Ashton gulped. Officer Grayson was one of the famous cop in town. And he didn't want to have any business with a cop.

        "You're scaring him," Harley gave Jay a stern look as she squeezed Ashton's hand tighter.

        Ashton didn't say a word. He leaned back and took a deep breath as if it would calm his nerves. Je was just closing his eyes slowly when suddenly he heard his own name being called.

        Oh no.

        "Ashton Irwin?" a tall man, which Ashton assumed was a doctor (judging from the white coat he wore), smiled at him.

        Ashton nodded. "Yeah?"

        "Officer Grayson wants to talk to you," he said and made a gesture for Ashton to follow him.

        Oh, fuck. Ashton took a deep breath. Don't be panic, he told himself, cops like it when you panic.

        Ashton glanced at his friends as if screaming for help before going to room 207; Charlie Rose's room. He gulped and before he could knock at the door, it was opened from the inside and another tall man in a police uniform came into the picture.

        "Oh, you're here," he smiled warmly and patted Ashton's shoulder.

        He fucking smiled, Ashton thought. "Uh, yeah, I'm Ashton."

        "Well, Ashton," Officer Grayson inhaled deeply and smiled again. "Thank you."

        Ashton blinked. "I'm sorry, what?"

        "She's okay," Officer Grayson stole a glance at Charlie through the open door. She was in the hospital bed, staring blankly at whatever is in front of her. "Maybe she's gonna need a wheelchair for a while but she's alright with it."

        Ashton followed Officer Grayson's gaze, staring at Charlie in confuse. What? Why did Officer Grayson thank him? Why didn't he say something about how Ashton just-hit-someone-by-accident-but-still-considered-as-a-crime?

        "Her parents are on the way here, though," Officer Grayson continued as he smiled again for what felt like the hundredth time.

        Ashton couldn't take his eyes off of Charlie. He was confused. He wanted to run inside and ask Charlie what just happened but his body stood still. And when Charlie finally looked back at him, he looked away.

        Then the realization hit him. Oh, maybe she told the cop that Ashton was the one who saved her, that's why Officer Grayson thanked him. She lied to the cop. 

        She saved him.

+++

author's note:

hi! so your homework is to find the reason why charlie lied to the cop

good luck :--)