Prologue

I stood in front of my full length mirror, motionless.

All I could see was the faint outlines of my bones and my faded face staring back at me.
I looked at my hands through the mirrors perspective, they were almost invisible too. I could almost perfectly see my bed behind me through the mirror as if I had not been standing there at all.
I slowly turned clockwise, my eyes were still glued onto my reflection; or at least what should be a more visible reflection of my own body. It was as if I was slowly fading by the second, I could feel the cold chills run up and down my spine at the sight of it.

I forced my eyes to look down at my actual body. Not a single sign of anything supernatural. I could see myself clearly when not looking through a mirror or camera.
I then looked back at the mirror, at my faded, barely visible silhouette and took a deep breath.

Why can't I just be normal?

You see, I was born as a normal, healthy child. Things only began to change within my early years of high school. Well, what I technically mean is they became more noticeable to the people around me. I knew I was different right from the start, it was just hard to find my place in society and why I was given this disadvantage. I just gave it the benefit of the doubt at the beginning, it didn't take much for me to realise it wasn't just another one of those quirks that make an individual unique. No, this was different.

For the past 3 years, I have kept this to myself and had plans to keep it to myself for quite a while. Well, that was the original plan at least.
My secret wasn't harming anyone in any possible way, so there was no problem, was there?
The only way it affected me truly was I couldn't be in any photo if I could feel any type of sadness or anger or guilt.

But I guess my secret is no longer much of a secret though, is it?

So there isn't any harm in me explaining you everything, seeming as though the world already has found it out, all because of my depression and a silly selfie someone took with me in the background.

My name is Lorelei Bourke. This is the story of how my depression and a stupid picture made me worldwide famous, and how fame and fortune destroyed me.