Chapter Fifty Six

Start from the beginning

Finn looked like he wanted to say something, but he just hugged me to his chest. "I'm so, so sorry, Evelyn. The last thing I ever wanted was for you t-to..."

"It's not your fault," I said and shook my head, but hugged him back. People were beginning to stare and I swear I was so close to telling them to turn the fuck around before I ripped Finn's bow tie off and threw it at someone.

I rested my head on his shoulder as we began to dance again. I think I liked Finn, but I liked Harry so much more. Like, I always despised it when a character from a story or movie or show would suddenly fall for someone when their heart belonged to someone else, always complaining to Holly about how someone can fall in love with someone else when you've got the other lover in you mind twenty four seven, making you fall deeper for them. But now I knew the feeling and I hated it. I hated myself for it. Clearly, any sane girl who'd be lucky enough--sarcasm--to be stuck in this situation would go after someone kind-hearted and loving as Finn Harries, rather than someone who enjoys slitting throats. Okay, maybe he doesn't like it but you get the point; Harry kills people, he's a fugitive, he robs banks, breaks windows with potatoes blah, blah, blah.

The song ended and for that I was grateful. I enjoyed dancing but all of these thoughts--and the fricken heels--would have made me fall in the middle of the dance floor, in front of everyone. Finn gently pulled away.

"Can we take a break?" I begged after another two songs.

"You must have been exhausted slow dancing." Finn smirked, and I slapped his arm.

"I need some water," I grumbled and pulled him with me to our table. Luke was sitting alone, panting.

"You do not  want to dance with her." Luke pointed to Mykela, who twisted to look behind her. When she realized Luke was gesturing to her, she smiled and waved at us with one hand, the other clutching a red cup. Of course, some students must've snuck in some alcohol. I wonder how long until a teacher notices the sluggish movements of people and slurs of their words.

Finn and I sat down. "It was a slow song, Luke," Finn laughed.

"Then why are you  tired?" the blonde haired boy dared to ask.

Finn motioned to me and raised a plastic cup to his lips.

"This song sounds stupid, anyway" was my excuse. Luke caught onto my lie and nodded mockingly.

"Is it just me, or is it hot in here?" Finn asked after downing down the contents in his cup, pulling his collar away from his neck.

"It is pretty warm," Luke admitted as half of the dancers were already making their way back to the tables.

"I guess it's just the-" Finn began to speak, but was cut off as all the light in the room suddenly dimmed and flickered back on.

"Um, what was that?" My voice shook.

"Power surge?" Luke suggested. People all over the room tipped their heads back to look at the lanterns on the walls and the lights on the ceilings, suddenly bright.

A voice screamed through the distance and Finn stood up from his chair just before the lights completely shut off, the room literally turning dark a pitch. I held my breath. Surprisingly, girls didn't scream or guys didn't curse. The room was quiet as hell--not  literally.

"Wha-" I heard Luke from at least a yard away. "What the fuck just happened?"

A few tiny beams of light began to light up the room as people took out their phones. I swallowed the lump in my throat and reached for my purse on the table. I tapped my hand all around the table and even on the chair, but it seemed as if I misplaced my purse or someone took it. I began to panic again. "Finn?" I called out and clawed at the darkness, holding my hands out in front of me.